Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

Default seems the upgrade from 8.04 failed!!!

Hola!

I thought I had upgraded to 8.10, but something must have failed
(I used "safe-upgrade" not "full-update") My system looks suspiciously
similar to 8.04.
Now I did:

kjetil@familien:~/R$ uname -o
GNU/Linux
kjetil@familien:~/R$ lsb_release --all
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy

Then I did:

kjetil@familien:~/R$ gksu "update-manager -c"

(all of this is done within emacs shell)

which basically says there is nothing to do!!!

So what can I do to get to intrepid?

Thanks,

Kjetil halvorsen

--
"Perhaps there is no such thing as unilateral power. After all, the
man 'in power' depends on receiving information all the time from

Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Kjetil Halvorsen:

> I thought I had upgraded to 8.10, but something must have failed
> (I used "safe-upgrade" not "full-update")

Those look like (or at least similar to) commands aptitude understands -
which have nothing to do with upgrading to a newer Ubuntu release.

> So what can I do to get to intrepid?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades

Regards
mks

Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 13:45 -0300, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> I thought I had upgraded to 8.10, but something must have failed
> (I used "safe-upgrade" not "full-update")

1) Upgrading using aptitude/apt-get can work if you know what you are
doing (which you don't, as evidenced by your use of safe-upgrade), but
it is not supported or tested

2) Using "safe-upgrade" cannot work at all, though. A distribution
upgrade needs to be able to remove packages, and only full-upgrade can
do that. safe-upgrade can't, that's why it is safe

You really, really should read the release notes [1] and follow the
upgrade instructions [2] that are linked from there.

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

Thanks to all. I am slowly learning, and now 8.10 is approaching
a working state. And it is nice;

Kjetil

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 11:10 -0300, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> Thanks to all. I am slowly learning, and now 8.10 is approaching
> a working state. And it is nice;

Props to you. The learning will become faster, but it never ends. The
resources at help.ubuntu.com are fantastic, by the way. Good luck, and
ask the list if you need help!