FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
"a fuji"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

Dear subscribers of ubuntu-users mailing list,

I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color 8100)
through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,
but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.


Printing jobs seem to be tranferred successfully, because the printer icon,
which appears at printing on the gnome panel, appears, after then disappears
without any error message. But, the printers never respond outwardly.


Although I searched on Google, I couldn't find any useful information about this issue.
So I have no idea how to print on 8.10 as it did on 8.04.
Does anybody know how to solve this printing problem?


Thank you in advance for your kind help.

--
afujihara
email: afujihara@gmail.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear subscribers of ubuntu-users mailing list,
>
> I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color 8100)
> through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,
> but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.
>
> Printing jobs seem to be tranferred successfully, because the printer icon,
> which appears at printing on the gnome panel, appears, after then disappears
> without any error message. But, the printers never respond outwardly.
>
> Although I searched on Google, I couldn't find any useful information about
> this issue.
> So I have no idea how to print on 8.10 as it did on 8.04.
> Does anybody know how to solve this printing problem?

Start by looking at the cups logs in /var/log/cups and see if you get
any clues....


Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM
"a fuji"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

Thank you for your response, Brian. Sorry for late reply.
I saw error_log, but I can't understand the meaning...

$ sudo cat /var/log/cups/error_log
E [11/Nov/2008:21:46:41 +0900] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized

E [11/Nov/2008:22:23:58 +0900] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized

$ sudo tail /var/log/cups/access_log
localhost - root [11/Nov/2008:22:25:47 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 327 CUPS-Get-Printers successful-ok

localhost - root [11/Nov/2008:22:25:47 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 129 CUPS-Get-Classes successful-ok
localhost - root [11/Nov/2008:22:25:47 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 75 CUPS-Get-Default successful-ok

localhost - root [11/Nov/2008:22:25:47 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 327 CUPS-Get-Printers successful-ok
localhost - root [11/Nov/2008:22:25:47 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 129 CUPS-Get-Classes successful-ok

localhost - root [11/Nov/2008:22:25:47 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 75 CUPS-Get-Default successful-ok
localhost - - [11/Nov/2008:22:30:06 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 129 CUPS-Get-Printers successful-ok

localhost - - [11/Nov/2008:22:30:06 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 129 CUPS-Get-Classes successful-ok
localhost - - [11/Nov/2008:22:35:04 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 129 CUPS-Get-Printers successful-ok

localhost - - [11/Nov/2008:22:35:04 +0900] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 129 CUPS-Get-Classes successful-ok
$




On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:


> Dear subscribers of ubuntu-users mailing list,

>

> I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color 8100)

> through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,

> but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.

>

> Printing jobs seem to be tranferred successfully, because the printer icon,

> which appears at printing on the gnome panel, appears, after then disappears

> without any error message. But, the printers never respond outwardly.

>

> Although I searched on Google, I couldn't find any useful information about

> this issue.

> So I have no idea how to print on 8.10 as it did on 8.04.

> Does anybody know how to solve this printing problem?



Start by looking at the cups logs in */var/log/cups and see if you get

any clues....





Brian



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color
>> > 8100)
>> > through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,
>> > but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.
>> >
>> > Printing jobs seem to be tranferred successfully, because the printer
>> > icon,
>> > which appears at printing on the gnome panel, appears, after then
>> > disappears
>> > without any error message. But, the printers never respond outwardly.
>> >
>> > Although I searched on Google, I couldn't find any useful information
>> > about
>> > this issue.
>> > So I have no idea how to print on 8.10 as it did on 8.04.
>> > Does anybody know how to solve this printing problem?
>>
>> Start by looking at the cups logs in /var/log/cups and see if you get
>> any clues....

{snipped logs}

Hmmm - nothing there that jumps out at me really.

Lets try this.

Open a terminal program.

Type
lpstat -tl
and hit return

Copy and paste that into an email.

Then, type
ls | lpr
and hit return, then immediately hit the up arrow twice and hit return again.

That's a vertical bar or pipe symbol between ls and lpr, not a number
one or a small L. It's close to the return key on a US keyboard, but
judging by your name you quite possibly aren't using one of those.

Copy and paste that output into the email, and check the printer to
see if it printed anything.

Let us know...

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
"a fuji"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

Thank you for your kind advice, Brian.
I tried what you told me to do.

$ LANG=C lpstat -tl
scheduler is running
system default destination: IPSiO_NX730N
device for IPSiO_Color_8100: socket://192.168.0.22:9100

device for IPSiO_NX730N: socket://192.168.0.21:9100
IPSiO_Color_8100 accepting requests since Wed Nov* 7 14:05:05 2007
IPSiO_NX730N accepting requests since Tue Nov 11 21:48:38 2008

printer IPSiO_Color_8100 is idle.* enabled since Wed Nov* 7 14:05:05 2007
printer IPSiO_NX730N is idle.* enabled since Tue Nov 11 21:48:38 2008

$ ls | lpr
# Sorry, it seems that I execute this command three times...


$ LANG=C lpstat -tl
scheduler is running
system default destination: IPSiO_NX730N
device for IPSiO_Color_8100: socket://192.168.0.22:9100
device for IPSiO_NX730N: socket://192.168.0.21:9100

IPSiO_Color_8100 accepting requests since Wed Nov* 7 14:05:05 2007
IPSiO_NX730N accepting requests since Thu Nov 13 07:48:42 2008
printer IPSiO_Color_8100 is idle.* enabled since Wed Nov* 7 14:05:05 2007
printer IPSiO_NX730N now printing IPSiO_NX730N-0.* enabled since Thu Nov 13 07:48:42 2008

*** End of file inside dictionary
IPSiO_NX730N-836******* fujihara******** 47104** Thu Nov 13 07:48:17 2008
IPSiO_NX730N-837******* fujihara******** 47104** Thu Nov 13 07:48:24 2008
IPSiO_NX730N-838******* fujihara******** 47104** Thu Nov 13 07:48:28 2008

$

I think that's all done. But, my printers still couldn't work.
What do you think I should do next for solving this problem?

afujihara



On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:


>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color

>> > 8100)

>> > through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,

>> > but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.

>> >

>> > Printing jobs seem to be tranferred successfully, because the printer

>> > icon,

>> > which appears at printing on the gnome panel, appears, after then

>> > disappears

>> > without any error message. But, the printers never respond outwardly.

>> >

>> > Although I searched on Google, I couldn't find any useful information

>> > about

>> > this issue.

>> > So I have no idea how to print on 8.10 as it did on 8.04.

>> > Does anybody know how to solve this printing problem?

>>

>> Start by looking at the cups logs in */var/log/cups and see if you get

>> any clues....



{snipped logs}



Hmmm - nothing there that jumps out at me really.



Lets try this.



Open a terminal program.



Type

* lpstat -tl

and hit return



Copy and paste that into an email.



Then, type

* ls | lpr

and hit return, then immediately hit the up arrow twice and hit return again.



That's a vertical bar or pipe symbol between ls and lpr, not a number

one or a small L. *It's close to the return key on a US keyboard, but

judging by your name you quite possibly aren't using one of those.



Copy and paste that output into the email, and check the printer to

see if it printed anything.



Let us know...



Brian



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 PM
"Craig Hagerman"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear subscribers of ubuntu-users mailing list,
>
> I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color 8100)
> through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,
> but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.
>

I have a brother laser printer on the network that stopped working
after upgrading to 8.10. It wouldn't print documents, but would print
web pages. I discovered that if the default page is set to letter
rather than A4 (I am not in the USA, and my printer has A4 paper) it
spits out an error, but works fine if the paper size is set correctly.
I have no idea why the default paper size would be letter now, nor why
that should cause a problem, but that was the only issue in my case.
Likely you have a different problem, but I thought I would mention it
just in case.

Craig

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM
"Craig Hagerman"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear subscribers of ubuntu-users mailing list,
>
> I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color 8100)
> through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,
> but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.
>

I have a brother laser printer on the network that stopped working
after upgrading to 8.10. It wouldn't print documents, but would print
web pages. I discovered that if the default page is set to letter
rather than A4 (I am not in the USA, and my printer has A4 paper) it
spits out an error, but works fine if the paper size is set correctly.
I have no idea why the default paper size would be letter now, nor why
that should cause a problem, but that was the only issue in my case.
Likely you have a different problem, but I thought I would mention it
just in case.

Craig

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
"a fuji"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

Hi, Craig. Thank you for your information.

Even though the default page is surely set to A4,
my Ricoh printers wouldn't print not only documents, but also webpages.

afujihara



On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Craig Hagerman <craighagerman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear subscribers of ubuntu-users mailing list,

>

> I'm using two Ricoh printers (Ricoh IPSiO NX730N and Ricoh IPSiO Color 8100)

> through the local network. Both printers worked well on Ubuntu 8.04,

> but don't work after upgrading to 8.10.

>



I have a brother laser printer on the network that stopped working

after upgrading to 8.10. It wouldn't print documents, but would print

web pages. I discovered that if the default page is set to letter

rather than A4 (I am not in the USA, and my printer has A4 paper) it

spits out an error, but works fine if the paper size is set correctly.

I have no idea why the default paper size would be letter now, nor why

that should cause a problem, but that was the only issue in my case.

Likely you have a different problem, but I thought I would mention it

just in case.



Craig



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:16 PM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your kind advice, Brian.
> I tried what you told me to do.

Well. Everything looks good except for the printing part :-)
The queues are set up and enabled. Your print jobs get sent. They
just don't finish.

The one line there I don't like is 'End of file inside dictionary'
I don't know what that's referring to but it doesn't seem right. A
quick google isn't illuminating either.

Since we're simply sending some plain text, it should be pretty
straight forward.

Since I don't know exactly what the problem is, I can only give you a
list of things I'd try if it were me.

1) Have you tried re-setting up the printers since you upgraded? I'd
try that next if you haven't already.
2) Try setting up those printers with a different driver - if they
understand Postscript then use a generic postscript driver, or if they
do PCL use a PCL driver. It won't get you all the features (duplex,
stapling, whatever) but it could at least get you hard copy, and
confirm where the issue is.
3) Grab the PPD that Hardy used that was working and import it into
Intrepid and try it there.
4) post a bug on launchpad.
5) head on over to the forums at linuxprinting.org and ask for more help.

That's pretty much the order I'd try them in too - but I'd file a bug
on launchpad regardless of whether I got it fixed or not with all the
things I've tried.

If any/all of those steps sound good to you, and you'd like help with
them, just shout back what you need help with.

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM
"a fuji"
 
Default Printing problem on Ricoh printers

Thank you for your comment.
I tried your suggestion 1), 2), 3), but it won't work.
So then I will try 4), that is, report this problem to launchpad.

Thank you again for your kind help!

afujihara


On 11/14/08, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:16 PM, a fuji <afujihara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your kind advice, Brian.
> I tried what you told me to do.


Well.**Everything looks good except for the printing part :-)

The queues are set up and enabled.**Your print jobs get sent.**They
just don't finish.

The one line there I don't like is 'End of file inside dictionary'
I don't know what that's referring to but it doesn't seem right.**A

quick google isn't illuminating either.

Since we're simply sending some plain text, it should be pretty
straight forward.

Since I don't know exactly what the problem is, I can only give you a

list of things I'd try if it were me.

1) Have you tried re-setting up the printers since you upgraded?**I'd
try that next if you haven't already.
2) Try setting up those printers with a different driver - if they

understand Postscript then use a generic postscript driver, or if they
do PCL use a PCL driver.**It won't get you all the features (duplex,
stapling, whatever) but it could at least get you hard copy, and

confirm where the issue is.
3) Grab the PPD that Hardy used that was working and import it into
Intrepid and try it there.
4) post a bug on launchpad.
5) head on over to the forums at linuxprinting.org and ask for more help.


That's pretty much the order I'd try them in too - but I'd file a bug
on launchpad regardless of whether I got it fixed or not with all the
things I've tried.

If any/all of those steps sound good to you, and you'd like help with

them, just shout back what you need help with.


Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
afujihara
email: afujihara@gmail.com
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org