Old 11-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Alt-F2

Doesn't work for me in Hardy 64 bit using kde4.1.
Absolutely nothing happens on the screen or panel. Any ideas what's causing this or how to fix it? Any suggestions appreciated.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

>Doesn't work for me in Hardy 64 >bit using kde4.1.
>Absolutely nothing happens on >the screen or panel. Any ideas >what's causing this or how to fix >it?

I think Alt-F2 thingy only works for GNOME. You got KDE so...

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Old 11-06-2008, 06:13 AM
"Amit Joshi"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Anthony M. Rasat <anthony.rasat@gmail.com> wrote:

>Doesn't work for me in Hardy 64 >bit using kde4.1.

>Absolutely nothing happens on >the screen or panel. Any ideas >what's causing this or how to fix >it?

I think Alt-F2 thingy only works for GNOME. You got KDE so...

Alt+F2 works for KDE too... In fact, KDE has pretty advance options for running a program. (Don't recall about Gnome).

Amit Joshi

Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Anthony M. Rasat
> <anthony.rasat@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > >Doesn't work for me in Hardy 64 >bit using
> kde4.1.
> > >Absolutely nothing happens on >the screen or
> panel. Any ideas >what's
> > causing this or how to fix >it?
> >
> > I think Alt-F2 thingy only works for GNOME. You got
> KDE so...
> >

> Alt+F2 works for KDE too... In fact, KDE has pretty advance
> options for
> running a program. (Don't recall about Gnome).

Yes, and I've used it in my Hardy not too long ago but can't now maybe since enabling Comkpiz. Would like to get it working again if I had any idea how.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Derek Broughton

Anthony M. Rasat wrote:

>>Doesn't work for me in Hardy 64 >bit using kde4.1.
>>Absolutely nothing happens on >the screen or panel. Any ideas >what's
>>causing this or how to fix >it?
>
> I think Alt-F2 thingy only works for GNOME. You got KDE so...

...so ... it's worked on every _previous_ KDE version since "1", so why not
for Anthony?
--
derek

Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- On Thu, 11/6/08, Amit Joshi <mckagan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Alt+F2 works for KDE too... In fact, KDE has pretty advance
>> options for
>> running a program. (Don't recall about Gnome).
>>
> Yes, and I've used it in my Hardy not too long ago but can't now maybe
> since enabling Comkpiz. Would like to get it working again if I had any
> idea how.

iirc, KDE4 combines the alt-F2 launcher and katapult, and you can just use
the standard "Configure shortcuts" dialog to make it use alt-F2. But I
haven't made the move to kde4, yet, so I could be wrong...
--
derek

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2008 09:57 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Doesn't work for me in Hardy 64 bit using kde4.1. Absolutely nothing
> happens on the screen or panel. Any ideas what's causing this or how
> to fix it? Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=kde+4.1+%2B%22Alt-F2%22&btnG=Google+Search>

That said; I just tested on Hardy 32 bit using kde4.1 and it works for
me w/no problems.

So, thought I'd check to ensure that the system is fully updated -- yep
it is. Last updates were today.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 PM
"Gordon Schulz"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Leonard Chatagnier
<lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Yes, and I've used it in my Hardy not too long ago but can't now maybe since enabling Comkpiz.
> Would like to get it working again if I had any idea how.
Sure it works on KDE 3.x and 4.x. Does "Comkpiz" mean Compiz? Disable
it, then try again. I remember Compiz messing up lots of KDE's
shortcuts - it's not even worth using since KWin 4.x does most
eyecandy out of the box anyway and using Compiz is asking for trouble.
--
Greetings,
Gordon.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, and I've used it in my Hardy not too long ago
> but can't now maybe since enabling Comkpiz.
> > Would like to get it working again if I had any idea
> how.
> Sure it works on KDE 3.x and 4.x. Does "Comkpiz"
> mean Compiz? Disable
> it, then try again. I remember Compiz messing up lots of
> KDE's
> shortcuts - it's not even worth using since KWin 4.x
> does most
> eyecandy out of the box anyway and using Compiz is asking
> for trouble.
> --
> Greetings,
> Gordon.
Yep, it was Compiz but my haste caused the typo. I will disable Compiz since kwin4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2 is already installed and see if ALT-F2 works again. Thanks for the info. I'll get back with outcome as soon as I try it.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net