Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default Soft linking libraries

Hello,

Many times, I face the problem of not finding the libraries and after little bit investigation, I observe
that the problem could be solved by explicitly making soft link. For example:

csv610@blackhole:/usr/lib$ ls -al libglut.so.3

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2008-11-03 21:43 libglut.so.3 -> libglut.so.3.8.0

Many application when linked with -lglut report that library not found. Why the standard installation
doesn't create* a software link libglut.so->libglut.so.3 ? Any logical reasons ?

Thanks.
csv

*

Old 11-06-2008, 05:21 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

>Many application when linked >with -lglut report that library not >found. Why the standard >installationdoesn't create* a >software link libglut.so->libglut.so.3 ? Any logical >reasons ?

Thinkering around with libraries goes back as far as my slackware days, I think the reason would be upgradability. Since major version (e.g. number 3 in libglut.so.3) is rarely changes however minor version (e.g. number .8.0 in libglut.so.3.8.0) do change in upgrade so it would break dependencies.

I remember workaround for this is to freeze the library version (which is bad idea unless that is not a production machine) against upgrade but I can't seem to recall how. Sorry. I guess you need to google around a bit.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:41:23AM +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Why the standard installation doesn't create a software link
> libglut.so->libglut.so.3 ? Any logical reasons ?

Easy and convenient, yes. But what if you already have an application
relying on a newer version of libglut.so? Silently dropping the link
back to libglut.so.3 would cause problems that would be much harder to
diagnose.

The "xxx not found" is so obvious and easy to deal with, that it
satisfies POLA, I figure.

Erik