Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Karl Larsen

Default 8.10 and the GeForce 6100 NVIDIA

This is an update. I fixed my 8.10 xorg file today and got it back
up in the poor X windows possible with the Ubuntu "nv" driver. I then
started "update-manager" which with help d/l 21 updates. I hoped that
would fix it.

Alas it didn't fix anything I could see. I installed the Ubuntu 173
driver and this time it seemed to work properly. But when I rebooted it
came up with the same black screen with a white narrow line across the top.

Had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a place I can reboot, and I did. So
Intrepid is still dead in the water if your using a NVIDIA GeForce 6100
video hardware. Will check it one more time in about a month.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2008 02:45 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> This is an update. I fixed my 8.10 xorg file today and got it back
> up in the poor X windows possible with the Ubuntu "nv" driver. I then
> started "update-manager" which with help d/l 21 updates. I hoped that
> would fix it.
>
> Alas it didn't fix anything I could see. I installed the Ubuntu 173
> driver and this time it seemed to work properly. But when I rebooted it
> came up with the same black screen with a white narrow line across the top.
>
> Had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a place I can reboot, and I did. So
> Intrepid is still dead in the water if your using a NVIDIA GeForce 6100
> video hardware. Will check it one more time in about a month.
>
> Karl

Perhaps https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/251107
will resolve your version?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/05/2008 02:45 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> This is an update. I fixed my 8.10 xorg file today and got it back
>> up in the poor X windows possible with the Ubuntu "nv" driver. I then
>> started "update-manager" which with help d/l 21 updates. I hoped that
>> would fix it.
>>
>> Alas it didn't fix anything I could see. I installed the Ubuntu 173
>> driver and this time it seemed to work properly. But when I rebooted it
>> came up with the same black screen with a white narrow line across the top.
>>
>> Had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a place I can reboot, and I did. So
>> Intrepid is still dead in the water if your using a NVIDIA GeForce 6100
>> video hardware. Will check it one more time in about a month.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Perhaps https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/251107
> will resolve your version?

I read the whole bug report which is quite long and full of words of
hate and frustration. Some day I will learn to write to a bug report so
I can add my story of hate and anger. But in answer to your Question no,
there is no fix yet.

What is not said and needs to be said is this:

Ubuntu got the NVIDIA drivers right for versions Gutsy and Hardy.
Then came alone Intrepid and it supports some but not all NVIDIA
hardware. This is a real Ubuntu problem. To say your waiting for new
driver software from NVIDIA is, I am sorry to say a lie. Why does it
work on Hardy????

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2008 03:35 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/05/2008 02:45 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> This is an update. I fixed my 8.10 xorg file today and got it back
>>> up in the poor X windows possible with the Ubuntu "nv" driver. I then
>>> started "update-manager" which with help d/l 21 updates. I hoped that
>>> would fix it.
>>>
>>> Alas it didn't fix anything I could see. I installed the Ubuntu 173
>>> driver and this time it seemed to work properly. But when I rebooted it
>>> came up with the same black screen with a white narrow line across the top.
>>>
>>> Had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a place I can reboot, and I did. So
>>> Intrepid is still dead in the water if your using a NVIDIA GeForce 6100
>>> video hardware. Will check it one more time in about a month.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Perhaps https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/251107
>> will resolve your version?
>>

> I read the whole bug report which is quite long and full of words of
> hate and frustration. Some day I will learn to write to a bug report so
> I can add my story of hate and anger. But in answer to your Question no,
> there is no fix yet.
>
> What is not said and needs to be said is this:
>
> Ubuntu got the NVIDIA drivers right for versions Gutsy and Hardy.
> Then came alone Intrepid and it supports some but not all NVIDIA
> hardware. This is a real Ubuntu problem. To say your waiting for new
> driver software from NVIDIA is, I am sorry to say a lie. Why does it
> work on Hardy????
>

> Karl

Well, I do think that you have to consider that the drivers are provided
by nVidia. So I'd vent your frustration with nVidia rather than Ubuntu
in this case...

Old 11-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Walter Garcia-Fontes

* Karl Larsen [06/11/08 00:37]:
> Ubuntu got the NVIDIA drivers right for versions Gutsy and Hardy.
> Then came alone Intrepid and it supports some but not all NVIDIA
> hardware. This is a real Ubuntu problem. To say your waiting for new
> driver software from NVIDIA is, I am sorry to say a lie. Why does it
> work on Hardy????

1) Hardy is a LTS (Long Term Support) version and Intrepid is not,
and this is known, whenever you install any intermediate version
between the LTS versions you get the latest software but you risk to
get some instability.

2) If NVIDIA does not provide information for the developers, I agree
not to hold the full distribution back because one or two
propietary drivers not working with the latest kernel. I've never
understood why on earth a hardware producer will not want to open up
its drivers, they're not software sellers, unless there is some
conspiration theory behind to favor the dominating OS.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona

Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 16:35 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Then came alone Intrepid and it supports some but not all NVIDIA
> hardware. This is a real Ubuntu problem. To say your waiting for new
> driver software from NVIDIA is, I am sorry to say a lie. Why does it
> work on Hardy????

>From System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers:

"Proprietary drivers do not have public source code that Ubuntu
developers are free to modify. They represent a risk to you because they
are only available on the types of computer chosen by the manufacturer,
and security updates to them depend solely on the responsiveness of the
manufacturer.
Ubuntu cannot fix or improve these drivers"

Which parts of this text do you not understand?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> I've never
> understood why on earth a hardware producer will not want to open up
> its drivers, they're not software sellers, unless there is some
> conspiration theory behind to favor the dominating OS.

Hi,
very likely they do not want the competition to get insight into the
hardware design secrets by simply analyzing the source code.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Karl Larsen

Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> * Karl Larsen [06/11/08 00:37]:
>
>> Ubuntu got the NVIDIA drivers right for versions Gutsy and Hardy.
>> Then came alone Intrepid and it supports some but not all NVIDIA
>> hardware. This is a real Ubuntu problem. To say your waiting for new
>> driver software from NVIDIA is, I am sorry to say a lie. Why does it
>> work on Hardy????
>>

> 1) Hardy is a LTS (Long Term Support) version and Intrepid is not,
> and this is known, whenever you install any intermediate version
> between the LTS versions you get the latest software but you risk to
> get some instability.
>
> 2) If NVIDIA does not provide information for the developers, I agree
> not to hold the full distribution back because one or two
> propietary drivers not working with the latest kernel. I've never
> understood why on earth a hardware producer will not want to open up
> its drivers, they're not software sellers, unless there is some
> conspiration theory behind to favor the dominating OS.

Well my work with Intrepid does point to the new Kernel as being the
thing changed and keeping the driver software from working.

I like to look at the nVidia problem from their eyes. They make sure
there is a driver software for all the Windows versions. These versions
change every 3 or 4 years about.

There are 5 or 6 versions of Linux changing about every 6 months and
going in different directions. The kernel changes in each and it is
impossible to offer a simple driver software package.

So they provided a bash file with good programs that checked the
local kernel and made sure there was a kernel tree so it can make a
kernel module which is successful. I used the bash file on Ubuntu and
Red Hat versions and it works fine. But it doesn't work fine on
Intrepid. I tried it and it printed out a detailed error report. The
problem was that the Intrepid kernel was different.

From my point of view Intrepid was a lot of work to get loaded, but
it has never worked. So with all this information the smart thing to do
is delete Intrepid from my computer and stay with Hardy which works fine
with a nVidia computer.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Karl Larsen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 16:35 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Then came alone Intrepid and it supports some but not all NVIDIA
>> hardware. This is a real Ubuntu problem. To say your waiting for new
>> driver software from NVIDIA is, I am sorry to say a lie. Why does it
>> work on Hardy????
>>

> >From System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers:
>
> "Proprietary drivers do not have public source code that Ubuntu
> developers are free to modify. They represent a risk to you because they
> are only available on the types of computer chosen by the manufacturer,
> and security updates to them depend solely on the responsiveness of the
> manufacturer.
> Ubuntu cannot fix or improve these drivers"
>
> Which parts of this text do you not understand?

The problem is NOT nVidia. It is us with changing kernels every few
months. I will stay with Hardy and delete Intrepid.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Larsen wrote:
> The problem is NOT nVidia. It is us with changing kernels every few
> months.

Well, if you think so, why do you change kernels every few months? I'd
rather think Nvidia is the culprit. If they'd open up their drivers
others could fix their problem with new kernels. Now only Nvidia can do
that if they are so inclined. However if they declare your card obsolete,
you are lost. I know what I'm talking about - for an older ATI card I
have, there is no 3D driver available for at least 1 year.

> I will stay with Hardy and delete Intrepid.

I think you did already write that several times

Nils