Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
NoOp

Default Panel

On 11/05/2008 12:27 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> I have four desktop icons or small panels on my lower panel. I have
> several tutorials in my home directory. I would like to show all three
> of them in seperate desk tops so I can go back and forth and compare the
> tutorials as I work in Cinelerra which is in a fourth panel. I click
> on the different panels but the different tutorials all open in the
> same desk top. Is what I am trying to do not permitted? Is there a
> problem that prevents me from getting the tutorials in different
> desktops. I hope this makes sense, and if not let me know and I will
> try to explain better. Thanks for any help.
> Doug

You should be able to right-click on any of the tutorials and select
"move to Workspace Right". I think that will give you what you are
looking for. Also, you can move the desktop panels to the top panel if
you wish so that it doesn't take up so much real estate on your bottom
workspace panel; just right click, unlock, right click again, move, and
drag it to the top panel.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/05/2008 12:27 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>
>> I have four desktop icons or small panels on my lower panel. I have
>> several tutorials in my home directory. I would like to show all three
>> of them in seperate desk tops so I can go back and forth and compare the
>> tutorials as I work in Cinelerra which is in a fourth panel. I click
>> on the different panels but the different tutorials all open in the
>> same desk top. Is what I am trying to do not permitted? Is there a
>> problem that prevents me from getting the tutorials in different
>> desktops. I hope this makes sense, and if not let me know and I will
>> try to explain better. Thanks for any help.
>> Doug
>>

> You should be able to right-click on any of the tutorials and select
> "move to Workspace Right". I think that will give you what you are
> looking for. Also, you can move the desktop panels to the top panel if
> you wish so that it doesn't take up so much real estate on your bottom
> workspace panel; just right click, unlock, right click again, move, and
> drag it to the top panel.

I just tried and Open Office can be opened in all 4 panels with
whatever mode you care to use. Will this cover what your wanting to do?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Bo Grimes

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 03:27:11PM -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> I have four desktop icons or small panels on my lower panel. I have
> several tutorials in my home directory. I would like to show all three
> of them in seperate desk tops so I can go back and forth and compare the
> tutorials as I work in Cinelerra which is in a fourth panel. I click
> on the different panels but the different tutorials all open in the
> same desk top. Is what I am trying to do not permitted? Is there a
> problem that prevents me from getting the tutorials in different
> desktops. I hope this makes sense, and if not let me know and I will
> try to explain better. Thanks for any help.

What application is opening the tutorials? Are they web pages? Are they
Open Office documents? Whatever application is opening them, right click on
the title bar of that application. Tell it to move it to the
desktop/workspace you want it on. Make sure the option isn't ticked for it
to always appear on visible workspace. Instead, once you have it on the
workspace you want, tell it only on this workspace.

Do this until you have them where you want. In general if you open an
application on a workspace it tends to stay there by default, unless you
move it, or unless it generates a dialogue box of some sort. For example,
if you open Synaptic on a workspace, do what you want and then tell it to
apply...if you then switch to another workspace to work, when it gets to the
installation step, that dialogue will pop up on your curent workspace.

All of this applies to Gnome. If this does not help, telling which specific
applications you're using and what desktop/windows manager might allow for
better help.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Douglas Pollard

Bo Grimes wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 03:27:11PM -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>
>> I have four desktop icons or small panels on my lower panel. I have
>> several tutorials in my home directory. I would like to show all three
>> of them in seperate desk tops so I can go back and forth and compare the
>> tutorials as I work in Cinelerra which is in a fourth panel. I click
>> on the different panels but the different tutorials all open in the
>> same desk top. Is what I am trying to do not permitted? Is there a
>> problem that prevents me from getting the tutorials in different
>> desktops. I hope this makes sense, and if not let me know and I will
>> try to explain better. Thanks for any help.
>>

> What application is opening the tutorials? Are they web pages? Are they
> Open Office documents? Whatever application is opening them, right click on
> the title bar of that application. Tell it to move it to the
> desktop/workspace you want it on. Make sure the option isn't ticked for it
> to always appear on visible workspace. Instead, once you have it on the
> workspace you want, tell it only on this workspace.
>
> Do this until you have them where you want. In general if you open an
> application on a workspace it tends to stay there by default, unless you
> move it, or unless it generates a dialogue box of some sort. For example,
> if you open Synaptic on a workspace, do what you want and then tell it to
> apply...if you then switch to another workspace to work, when it gets to the
> installation step, that dialogue will pop up on your curent workspace.
>
> All of this applies to Gnome. If this does not help, telling which specific
> applications you're using and what desktop/windows manager might allow for
> better help.

Thanks guys, it sometimes seems so hard. When told how, it usually
so easy and makes me wonder if I'm all here. Thanks,

Doug

Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Douglas Pollard

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Bo Grimes wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 03:27:11PM -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>>

>>> I have four desktop icons or small panels on my lower panel. I have
>>> several tutorials in my home directory. I would like to show all three
>>> of them in seperate desk tops so I can go back and forth and compare the
>>> tutorials as I work in Cinelerra which is in a fourth panel. I click
>>> on the different panels but the different tutorials all open in the
>>> same desk top. Is what I am trying to do not permitted? Is there a
>>> problem that prevents me from getting the tutorials in different
>>> desktops. I hope this makes sense, and if not let me know and I will
>>> try to explain better. Thanks for any help.
>>>

>> What application is opening the tutorials? Are they web pages? Are they
>> Open Office documents? Whatever application is opening them, right click on
>> the title bar of that application. Tell it to move it to the
>> desktop/workspace you want it on. Make sure the option isn't ticked for it
>> to always appear on visible workspace. Instead, once you have it on the
>> workspace you want, tell it only on this workspace.
>>
>> Do this until you have them where you want. In general if you open an
>> application on a workspace it tends to stay there by default, unless you
>> move it, or unless it generates a dialogue box of some sort. For example,
>> if you open Synaptic on a workspace, do what you want and then tell it to
>> apply...if you then switch to another workspace to work, when it gets to the
>> installation step, that dialogue will pop up on your curent workspace.
>>
>> All of this applies to Gnome. If this does not help, telling which specific
>> applications you're using and what desktop/windows manager might allow for
>> better help.
>>

> Thanks guys, it sometimes seems so hard. When told how, it usually
> so easy and makes me wonder if I'm all here. Thanks,
>
> Doug

Got back to this same problem this morning. I found I could not move
these tutorials to the next window. They were being opened by Firefox.
I opened with Open Office org and have each tutorial in a seperate
desktop. This is a very handy thing when trying new things in
Cinelerra, one click opens a tutorial and I can refer to a second one
instantly. This is a good way for anyone to learn how to use the
Terminal or Gnome or any other part of Ubuntu. I find the difference in
the wording in the different tutorials opens up my understanding very
quickly and makes unclear things understood without wracking my brain.
Thanks Guys
Doug