Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Stephen Winiecki

Default Intrepid xubuntu-desktop - graphical applications don't start from desktop

I have an Intrepid system for PPC which I built from debootstrap. I
installed xorg then xubuntu-desktop (from the universe repository). The
desktop comes up - but when I try to start applications from the desktop
panel pulldowns - they render for a second then disappear.

I am guessing it is some kind of X access control issue. From an ssh
terminal I am able to set the DISPLAY, set 'xhost +' and start the same
applications. I can start an xfce4-terminal app this way - and if I
again do 'xhost +' from the xfce4-terminal window, apps will start OK from
that terminal. Is there some setting I am missing to allow the apps to
run normally from the desktop?

Note that this does not happen with an Intrepid debootstrap system I built
with the gnome package (ubuntu-desktop is too heavy for my system) instead
of xubuntu-desktop.

Thanks