Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Mike Adolf

Default Installing 3 OS.

I now have Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista dual boot on one internal drive. I also
have a second internal drive on which I want to put Ubuntu 8.10 but I
want to install it in such a way that my current grub does not know it
is there. When I want to run 8.10 I would like to interrupt the boot
process and reset the boot order to boot first off the second internal
drive on which an independent grub knows nothing about the other two OS.

How can this best be achieved?

Mike

Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Robert Hodgins

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 11:38 -0700, Mike Adolf wrote:
> I now have Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista dual boot on one internal drive. I also
> have a second internal drive on which I want to put Ubuntu 8.10 but I
> want to install it in such a way that my current grub does not know it
> is there. When I want to run 8.10 I would like to interrupt the boot
> process and reset the boot order to boot first off the second internal
> drive on which an independent grub knows nothing about the other two OS.
>
> How can this best be achieved?

Wow! Uh, how about fiddling with the BIOS settings?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
"Alexandre Franke"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Mike Adolf <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:
> I now have Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista dual boot on one internal drive. I also
> have a second internal drive on which I want to put Ubuntu 8.10 but I
> want to install it in such a way that my current grub does not know it
> is there. When I want to run 8.10 I would like to interrupt the boot
> process and reset the boot order to boot first off the second internal
> drive on which an independent grub knows nothing about the other two OS.
>
> How can this best be achieved?

What about simply unplugging your first hard drive while installing
8.10 on the second one?

--
Alexandre Franke

Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 11:38 -0700, Mike Adolf wrote:
> I now have Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista dual boot on one internal drive. I also
> have a second internal drive on which I want to put Ubuntu 8.10 but I
> want to install it in such a way that my current grub does not know it
> is there. When I want to run 8.10 I would like to interrupt the boot
> process and reset the boot order to boot first off the second internal
> drive on which an independent grub knows nothing about the other two OS.

Why do you need to change the boot order to do this? Just install
8.10's GRUB to the boot sector of the partition /boot is located in,
then use "chainloader +1" from the "master" GRUB on the first drive.
That should give you the 8.10's GRUB menu when you select it.

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org

Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Neil

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Mike Adolf <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:
> I now have Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista dual boot on one internal drive. I also
> have a second internal drive on which I want to put Ubuntu 8.10 but I
> want to install it in such a way that my current grub does not know it
> is there. When I want to run 8.10 I would like to interrupt the boot
> process and reset the boot order to boot first off the second internal
> drive on which an independent grub knows nothing about the other two OS.
>
> How can this best be achieved?
>
> Mike

Hi Mike

First: Why do you wish to use another way beyond one Grub with entries
for Vi$ta, 8.04 and 8.10??

Second: What motherboard do you have? On my Asus I can simply press F8
(not sure) to go into the boot device selector menu thingy, and select
a different drive (without going into the BIOS). This may be a viable
backup plan for when Grub cannot activate another Grub easily, if your
mother board supports such a feature.
I assume you have a desktop system, so you can easily disconnect one
of the drives for installation (or the installer of 8.10 will "see"
there is another OS installed on the other disk and adjust grub
accordingly)

Hope it helps.

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count

Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Mike Adolf

Neil wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Mike Adolf <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:
>
>> I now have Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista dual boot on one internal drive. I also
>> have a second internal drive on which I want to put Ubuntu 8.10 but I
>> want to install it in such a way that my current grub does not know it
>> is there. When I want to run 8.10 I would like to interrupt the boot
>> process and reset the boot order to boot first off the second internal
>> drive on which an independent grub knows nothing about the other two OS.
>>
>> How can this best be achieved?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Hi Mike
>
> First: Why do you wish to use another way beyond one Grub with entries
> for Vi$ta, 8.04 and 8.10??
>
> Second: What motherboard do you have? On my Asus I can simply press F8
> (not sure) to go into the boot device selector menu thingy, and select
> a different drive (without going into the BIOS). This may be a viable
> backup plan for when Grub cannot activate another Grub easily, if your
> mother board supports such a feature.
> I assume you have a desktop system, so you can easily disconnect one
> of the drives for installation (or the installer of 8.10 will "see"
> there is another OS installed on the other disk and adjust grub
> accordingly)
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Neil

Neil

First: Why do you wish to use another way beyond one Grub with entries
for Vi$ta, 8.04 and 8.10??

If I just install 8.10 on the external drive, I think grub will require
that the disk be on at boot time. The external disk has a distracting
hum and sometimes I want to have it off.

F12 brings up the boot order menu on my Dell

Glenn Holmer replied with the following:

"Just install 8.10's GRUB to the boot sector of the partition /boot is located in,
then use "chainloader +1" from the "master" GRUB on the first drive.
That should give you the 8.10's GRUB menu when you select it."

Even doing this, I am still not sure Grub will work if the external is off.

Mike