Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Sean Sieger

Default intel 3945 wireless / dell d430

I have trouble with maintaining a stable wireless connection with my
Dell Latitude D430 and Ubuntu 8.04. When I wake my laptop by opening
the lid, I cannot always count on a connection. Sometimes closing the
lid again, letting the machine go to sleep and then waking it again
works---sometimes not. Every once in a while I have to restart to
establish a connection.

I used to have some luck using ifupdown.

Do you have any advice for when I install version 8.10?

Thank you.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Catalin David

Sean Sieger wrote:
> I have trouble with maintaining a stable wireless connection with my
> Dell Latitude D430 and Ubuntu 8.04. When I wake my laptop by opening
> the lid, I cannot always count on a connection. Sometimes closing the
> lid again, letting the machine go to sleep and then waking it again
> works---sometimes not. Every once in a while I have to restart to
> establish a connection.
>
> I used to have some luck using ifupdown.
>
> Do you have any advice for when I install version 8.10?
>
> Thank you.

My laptop (Dell D520) would have kernel panics every now and then (about
10 minutes apart) when connected to some wireless networks (the ones on
the university campus), but no hick-ups with my personal router. Did a
bit of google-ing and installed
linux-backports-modules-intrepid(-generic) -- i don't remember for sure
which of them and it seems to work fine now.

I believe the problem comes from the Intel drivers.

Hope that helps,

Catalin