-   -   How do I install a program that I downloaded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/188178-how-do-i-install-program-i-downloaded.html)

markfpyles 11-05-2008 12:54 PM

How do I install a program that I downloaded

Hi everyone:

I have downloaded a new version of open office to my desktop and I tried to open synaptic to see if I could install it and it doesn't recognize it on my desktop and won't install it. Is there a way that I can install the download or is there a way in which I can get synaptic to look on my desktop and actually see the file and install it? Thanks.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.

Mark

Mark Barton 11-05-2008 01:11 PM

How do I install a program that I downloaded

Hi Mark,

markfpyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have downloaded a new version of open office to my desktop and I
> tried to open synaptic to see if I could install it and it doesn't
> recognize it on my desktop and won't install it. Is there a way that I
> can install the download or is there a way in which I can get synaptic
> to look on my desktop and actually see the file and install it? Thanks.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
>

> Mark

Maybe this will help

Mark

NoOp 11-05-2008 04:21 PM

On 11/05/2008 05:54 AM, markfpyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have downloaded a new version of open office to my desktop and I tried to
> open synaptic to see if I could install it and it doesn't recognize it on my
> desktop and won't install it. Is there a way that I can install the download
> or is there a way in which I can get synaptic to look on my desktop and
> actually see the file and install it? Thanks.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
>

> Mark

https://help.ubuntu.com/
[please only bottom post & only in plain text on this list]

[Adding, Removing and Updating Applications]
https://help.ubuntu.com/
Adding and Removing Software
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-applications/C/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-applications/C/install-file.html
[Installing/uninstalling .deb files]
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-applications/C/install-file.html#install-deb

Previous versions of OpenOffice.org (OOo) required that you took special
steps to install in parallel
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel).
OOo version 3.0 does not require this, you only need to install the .deb
files - _do not_ uninstall your existing (U)OOo. Here are detailed
instructions on how to install the standard OOo 3.0:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04

markfpyles 11-05-2008 07:00 PM

How do I install a program that I downloaded

Thank you Mark!!!
*
I appreciate it! Thanks.

> I have downloaded a new version of open office to my desktop and I
> tried to open synaptic to see if I could install it and it doesn't

> recognize it on my desktop and won't install it. Is there a way that I
> can install the download or is there a way in which I can get synaptic
> to look on my desktop and actually see the file and install it? Thanks.

> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
>

> Mark

Maybe this will help

Mark

Mark 11-06-2008 04:04 AM

How do I install a program that I downloaded

Hi Mark:

Thanks.

Mark

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 09:11 -0500, Mark Barton wrote:

Hi Mark,

markfpyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have downloaded a new version of open office to my desktop and I
> tried to open synaptic to see if I could install it and it doesn't
> recognize it on my desktop and won't install it. Is there a way that I
> can install the download or is there a way in which I can get synaptic
> to look on my desktop and actually see the file and install it? Thanks.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
>

> Mark

Maybe this will help

Mark

Mark 11-06-2008 04:18 AM

How do I install a program that I downloaded

Thank you.