Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Bo Grimes

Default Manipulating PDF files

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 06:30:09AM -0600, John Botscharow wrote:
> I need to change background color and font color on a number of PDF
> files. I have vision problems and white background with black fonts does
> not work well for me. Is there a way to reverse the colors in a PDF?
>
> I am using the Ubuntu Studio flavor of Hardy Heron.
>
> Being able to do this is very important to me. It will make it a lot
> easier for me to complete my doctoral studies, so any help will be
> greatly appreciated.

Using Adobe Reader 8 choose Edit => Preferences => Accessibility

To install it use Synaptic and search for Adobe or at the command line type
sudo apt-get install acroread.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
John Botscharow

I tried to install acroread using both the synaptic package manager and
the command line method you recommended In both cases, the system said
package not found Do I need to add a software source to get this
package???? If yes, which one? If not, what now?

BTW thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 PM
John Botscharow

Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2008 03:40 PM, John Botscharow wrote:
> I tried to install acroread using both the synaptic package manager and
> the command line method you recommended In both cases, the system said
> package not found Do I need to add a software source to get this
> package???? If yes, which one? If not, what now?
>
> BTW thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

There are two ways to install:

You can install the medibuntu repositories, after which you will find
acroread and/or adobereader-enu in Synaptic. (or you can then install
from the terminal via 'sudo apt-get install adobereader-enu' or 'sudo
apt-get install acroread'.

or

Download from Adobe directly:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html
and select the "Linux - x86 (.deb)" version. Then from a terminal, cd to
the directory where you downloaded the .deb file and:

sudo dpkg -i <name of adobe reader .deb file>

Both work just fine. But I'd recommend that you use the medibuntu route
as it will assist with updates, and also pull in other non-free programs
that you may wish to use now or in the future.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Res

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Bo Grimes wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 06:30:09AM -0600, John Botscharow wrote:
>> I need to change background color and font color on a number of PDF
>> files. I have vision problems and white background with black fonts does
>> not work well for me. Is there a way to reverse the colors in a PDF?
>>
>> I am using the Ubuntu Studio flavor of Hardy Heron.
>>
>> Being able to do this is very important to me. It will make it a lot
>> easier for me to complete my doctoral studies, so any help will be
>> greatly appreciated.
>

> Using Adobe Reader 8 choose Edit => Preferences => Accessibility
>
> To install it use Synaptic and search for Adobe or at the command line type
> sudo apt-get install acroread.

Or go to www.adobe.com and get the latest security patched version 8.1.3
and dpgk -i Acroread...

--
Res

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 2:18:11 pm John Botscharow wrote:
> I tried to install acroread using both the synaptic package manager and
> the command line method you recommended In both cases, the system said
> package not found Do I need to add a software source to get this
> package???? If yes, which one? If not, what now?

You would need the medibuntu repository enabled for that. In Synaptic Package
Manager "settings" "repositories" that would be a third party software
repository addition clicking on "add" button and entering:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy free non-free

in the resulting requester.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org