Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
"Loïc Grenié"

Default public pc

2008/11/5 Embrik Kaslegard <embrik_leifsson@yahoo.no>:
> Hi!
>
> I am installing a public pc with ubuntu 8.04. My quest is how do I
> close the desktop enivornment? This user can be everyone visiting the
> library and I don't want them to delete shortcuts and change the
> environment.

You could leave it unlocked and wipe out the pulbic user and recreate
it after each logout.

Loïc

Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Embrik Kaslegard

Loïc Grenié skreiv:
> 2008/11/5 Embrik Kaslegard <embrik_leifsson@yahoo.no>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am installing a public pc with ubuntu 8.04. My quest is how do I
>> close the desktop enivornment? This user can be everyone visiting the
>> library and I don't want them to delete shortcuts and change the
>> environment.
>>

> You could leave it unlocked and wipe out the pulbic user and recreate
> it after each logout.
>
> Loïc

Good idea. Problem is, I don't know how to do that.

Embrik

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 AM
"Loïc Grenié"

2008/11/5 Embrik Kaslegard <embrik_leifsson@yahoo.no>:
> Loïc Grenié skreiv:
>> 2008/11/5 Embrik Kaslegard <embrik_leifsson@yahoo.no>:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am installing a public pc with ubuntu 8.04. My quest is how do I
>>> close the desktop enivornment? This user can be everyone visiting the
>>> library and I don't want them to delete shortcuts and change the
>>> environment.
>>>

>> You could leave it unlocked and wipe out the pulbic user and recreate
>> it after each logout.
>>
>> Loïc
>>

> Good idea. Problem is, I don't know how to do that.

In /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default you should add (before exit 0)
something like
that (untested)

if [ "$USER" = guestuser ]; then
rm -rf ~guestuser
deluser guestuser
adduser guestuser
# empty password for guest user
passwd -d guestuser
fi

(change passwd -d guestuser to
yes "Password"|passwd guestuser
if you wish a real password for your guest).

Loïc

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Embrik Kaslegard wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am installing a public pc with ubuntu 8.04. My tequest is how do I
> close the desktop enivornment? This user can be everyone visiting the
> library and I don't want them to delete shortcuts and change the
> environment.
>
> I have tried kiosk (a kde-app) but I can't get it to work. I may do
> something wrong - but if there are other gnome apps out there I would
> like to give it a try.

Not quite the answer you're looking for, but you can look and see if
Deep Freeze is available for Linux. For Windows it's fantastic for
keeping systems working despite user changes...it allows all the
alterations, reboot, and it's back to the previous state.

I have found a lot of fragmentation over time, though. Something to
check on periodically when you do update management.

I know it's for Windows, thought there was a version for another
platform...don't remember if it's Mac or Linux though.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
"Loïc Grenié"

2008/11/5 Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>:

> Embrik Kaslegard wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am installing a public pc with ubuntu 8.04. My tequest is how do I
>> close the desktop enivornment? This user can be everyone visiting the
>> library and I don't want them to delete shortcuts and change the
>> environment.
>>
>> I have tried kiosk (a kde-app) but I can't get it to work. I may do
>> something wrong - but if there are other gnome apps out there I would
>> like to give it a try.
>
> Not quite the answer you're looking for, but you can look and see if
> Deep Freeze is available for Linux. For Windows it's fantastic for
> keeping systems working despite user changes...it allows all the
> alterations, reboot, and it's back to the previous state.
>
> I have found a lot of fragmentation over time, though. Something to
> check on periodically when you do update management.
>
> I know it's for Windows, thought there was a version for another
> platform...don't remember if it's Mac or Linux though.

You can also have a ramdisk partition for the user with the help
of unionfs (or aufs) over the readonly "default parition". At each
logout umount the unionfs, reformat the ramdisk and remount
the unionfs (this is similar to your "deep freeze"). I think my
earlier suggestion is cleaner. Neither necessitate a reboot.

Loïc Grenié

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:08 AM, Embrik Kaslegard
<embrik_leifsson@yahoo.no> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am installing a public pc with ubuntu 8.04. My tequest is how do I
> close the desktop enivornment? This user can be everyone visiting the
> library and I don't want them to delete shortcuts and change the
> environment.
>
> I have tried kiosk (a kde-app) but I can't get it to work. I may do
> something wrong - but if there are other gnome apps out there I would
> like to give it a try.

Have you tried pessulus? I've never used it, but it seems to fit the
bill. It should be in the repos:

$ aptitude show pessulus
[...]
pessulus enables the system administrator to set mandatory settings in GConf,
which apply to all users, restricting what they can do, which may be of
particular usefulness for kiosks (internet cafes, for example).

Examples of what can be locked down are the panels (no changes in the panel
configuration are allowed, locking their position and their contents), some of
their functions individually (disabling screen locking and log out), the web
browser (disabling specific protocols, arbitrary URLs, forcing the user to be
in fullscreen mode), among many others.

Chris

Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2008 10:22 AM, Chris Mohler wrote:

> Have you tried pessulus? I've never used it, but it seems to fit the
> bill. It should be in the repos:
>
> $ aptitude show pessulus
> [...]
> pessulus enables the system administrator to set mandatory settings in GConf,
> which apply to all users, restricting what they can do, which may be of
> particular usefulness for kiosks (internet cafes, for example).
>
> Examples of what can be locked down are the panels (no changes in the panel
> configuration are allowed, locking their position and their contents), some of
> their functions individually (disabling screen locking and log out), the web
> browser (disabling specific protocols, arbitrary URLs, forcing the user to be
> in fullscreen mode), among many others.
>

> Chris

pessulus works well. You'll find it in System|Administration|Lockdown
Editor after install.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
embrik kaslegard

NoOp skreiv:
> On 11/05/2008 10:22 AM, Chris Mohler wrote:
>

>> Have you tried pessulus? I've never used it, but it seems to fit the
>> bill. It should be in the repos:
>>
>> $ aptitude show pessulus
>> [...]
>> pessulus enables the system administrator to set mandatory settings in GConf,
>> which apply to all users, restricting what they can do, which may be of
>> particular usefulness for kiosks (internet cafes, for example).
>>
>> Examples of what can be locked down are the panels (no changes in the panel
>> configuration are allowed, locking their position and their contents), some of
>> their functions individually (disabling screen locking and log out), the web
>> browser (disabling specific protocols, arbitrary URLs, forcing the user to be
>> in fullscreen mode), among many others.
>>

>> Chris
>>

> pessulus works well. You'll find it in System|Administration|Lockdown
> Editor after install.

Thanks. Tis may be what I am looking for.

Embrik