Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default VGA out: it worked, not it does not

On a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an ATI x1400 video card (I am using the
proprietary drivers) and Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5.10) the VGA output was
working fine until a reboot today. I did update the system via apt-get
yesterday, so that may have affected something. This is my xorg.conf
file (minus comments at the top):
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen"
Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

The file is completely stock with the exception of Option
"MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP" which I added to enable VGA-out when I first
got the external monitor. Until today it had successfully output
1680x1050 (which is the native resolution of both the laptop's screen
and the external monitor) but now I am getting 1680x1050 on the
laptop's screen, yet 1440x900 at the VGA-out (both at the same time).
The VGA-out screen pans with the mouse to account for the differences
in resolution (not the entire desktop is visible at any given moment).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Embrik Kaslegard

Dotan Cohen skreiv:

[...]

×?-ב-×’-ד-×”-ו-×–-×—-ט-×™-ך-×›-ל-×?-מ-ן-× -ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

I would have tried this command. You find it at the top of xorg.conf as
a suggestion if anything goes wrong.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Embrik

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/5 Embrik Kaslegard <embrik_leifsson@yahoo.no>:
> I would have tried this command. You find it at the top of xorg.conf as a
> suggestion if anything goes wrong.
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Thank you. I did try that, with the result that I could no longer use
VGA out (because it erased Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP" from the
xorg.conf file. Adding that option back to xorg.conf puts me back
where I was before: wrong resolution being used in VGA out.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

I should note that I tried running -phigh xserver-xorg anyway, and
now I am stuck in 1280x768 on the VGA output. However, this time
instead of focus following the mouse, I only see the top left 1280x768
of the screen.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> [...]
> screen "Default Screen"
> Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
> EndSection
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> EndSection
>

> The file is completely stock with the exception of Option
> "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP" which I added
> to enable VGA-out when I first
> got the external monitor. Until today it had successfully
> output
> 1680x1050 (which is the native resolution of both the
> laptop's screen
> and the external monitor) but now I am getting 1680x1050 on
> the
> laptop's screen, yet 1440x900 at the VGA-out (both at
> the same time).
> The VGA-out screen pans with the mouse to account for the
> differences
> in resolution (not the entire desktop is visible at any

Try adding this to your Section "Screen" after the last entry and before the EndSection

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1680 1050
Modes "1680x1050"
EndSubSection

It worked for me on my LG 22" lcd wide screen monitor using gutsy 64 bit and kde4.1.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net