Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
"Jonathan D. Armendariz"

Default Can mount external USB drive but cannot read or write to it

Hello,

I have a bit of an issue. I have a small USB drive that I've managed to
reformat using GParted in EXT3. The drive will mount on my desktop just
fine and will let me click open the icon for my drive but that's where
it stops. I've been completely unable to copy files to it or even copy
the "lost+found" icon from it. The error I get copying from it is that I
do not have permissions to read it and copying to it I get something
like permission denied. I have been able to take the drive to a Windows
PC and I can "see" the drive in the disk management console as well as
the device manager. I've also tried to reformat the drive but I get the
same results. Perhaps I'm missing something here? Any help in this
matter would be greatly appreciated! Thank you kindly.

--
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than
sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Peter Smerdon

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 17:03 -0800, Jonathan D. Armendariz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a bit of an issue. I have a small USB drive that I've managed to
> reformat using GParted in EXT3. The drive will mount on my desktop just
> fine and will let me click open the icon for my drive but that's where
> it stops. I've been completely unable to copy files to it or even copy
> the "lost+found" icon from it. The error I get copying from it is that I
> do not have permissions to read it and copying to it I get something
> like permission denied. I have been able to take the drive to a Windows
> PC and I can "see" the drive in the disk management console as well as
> the device manager. I've also tried to reformat the drive but I get the
> same results. Perhaps I'm missing something here? Any help in this
> matter would be greatly appreciated! Thank you kindly.

I would mount the drive and then do a
sudo chown -R
yourusername:yourusername /media/whereever/thedrive/is/mounted

this basically changes the user and group permissions of the drive to
yourself. I would guess the drive gets mounted somewhere in /media but
you need to check that is the case.