Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
masih nilesh

Default demo username and password

Hello,
I downloaded Ubuntu from the Univ of MD mirror site and wanted to demo it off the CD.* I am being prompted for a username/pwd and I have not been able to find credentials that work.* The usual ones do not work and it always brings me to the login screen and not straight to the desktop.* Little help...

-Nilesh

Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 10:19 -0800, masih nilesh wrote:
> I downloaded Ubuntu from the Univ of MD mirror site and wanted to demo
> it off the CD. I am being prompted for a username/pwd and I have not
> been able to find credentials that work. The usual ones do not work
> and it always brings me to the login screen and not straight to the
> desktop. Little help...

You should not be prompted, but this repeatedly came up on the list over
the last year or so. IIRC nobody ever found a reason, but every time I
read about it, it could be fixed by burning the CD as slower speed.
YMMV.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
"Michael Haney"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 10:19 -0800, masih nilesh wrote:
>> I downloaded Ubuntu from the Univ of MD mirror site and wanted to demo
>> it off the CD. I am being prompted for a username/pwd and I have not
>> been able to find credentials that work. The usual ones do not work
>> and it always brings me to the login screen and not straight to the
>> desktop. Little help...
>
> You should not be prompted, but this repeatedly came up on the list over
> the last year or so. IIRC nobody ever found a reason, but every time I
> read about it, it could be fixed by burning the CD as slower speed.
> YMMV.

That doesn't really answer the question. Hardly ever a straight answer here.

I've always used "root" as the username and "root" as the password and
that's worked before.

This has happened to me not only on Ubuntu LiveCDs but also
SimplyMEPIS and Sabayon Linux LiveCDs as well so this isn't an Ubuntu
only thing.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 10:19 -0800, masih nilesh wrote:
>>> I downloaded Ubuntu from the Univ of MD mirror site and wanted to demo
>>> it off the CD. I am being prompted for a username/pwd and I have not
>>> been able to find credentials that work. The usual ones do not work
>>> and it always brings me to the login screen and not straight to the
>>> desktop. Little help...
>>
>> You should not be prompted, but this repeatedly came up on the list over
>> the last year or so. IIRC nobody ever found a reason, but every time I
>> read about it, it could be fixed by burning the CD as slower speed.
>> YMMV.
>>

> That doesn't really answer the question. Hardly ever a straight answer here.

Actually, it does. It was well proven but not explained why a live CD
that shouldn't prompt for a user id still does. Burning the same
image slower 'fixed' the problem. Screwy, but true it seems.

Brian

Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:14 -0500, Michael Haney wrote:
> That doesn't really answer the question. Hardly ever a straight answer here.

If you are going to needlessly be an ass, I'll have to ask you to point
me to postings of mine that do not give a straight answer when a
straight answer was possible.

> I've always used "root" as the username and "root" as the password and
> that's worked before.

Dude, THE LIVE CD SHOULD NOT PROMPT. Like, at all.

I doubt that logging in as root has ever worked in Ubuntu, since LOGGING
IN AS ROOT IS DISABLED in Ubuntu.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
"Michael Haney"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:14 -0500, Michael Haney wrote:
>> That doesn't really answer the question. Hardly ever a straight answer here.
>
> If you are going to needlessly be an ass, I'll have to ask you to point
> me to postings of mine that do not give a straight answer when a
> straight answer was possible.
>
>> I've always used "root" as the username and "root" as the password and
>> that's worked before.
>
> Dude, THE LIVE CD SHOULD NOT PROMPT. Like, at all.
>
> I doubt that logging in as root has ever worked in Ubuntu, since LOGGING
> IN AS ROOT IS DISABLED in Ubuntu.

Well it does work. Logged in with username root and password root a
total of 8 times trying out different flavors of Ubuntu and other
LiveCDs of different distros before finally deciding on using Ubuntu.

As for the CD burning speed having an affect, that's wierd.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/4 Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com>:
> That doesn't really answer the question. Hardly ever a straight answer here.

What? Lots of straight answers here.

> I've always used "root" as the username and "root" as the password and
> that's worked before.
>
> This has happened to me not only on Ubuntu LiveCDs but also
> SimplyMEPIS and Sabayon Linux LiveCDs as well so this isn't an Ubuntu
> only thing.

It may be worth noting that Slax uses the username "root" and the
password "toor" (which is root spelled backwards). Just in case
root:root does not work.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Anna EdwARds

Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:36 -0500, Michael Haney wrote:
> Well it does work. Logged in with username root and password root a
> total of 8 times trying out different flavors of Ubuntu and other
> LiveCDs of different distros before finally deciding on using Ubuntu.

But the point was that the Ubuntu Live CD does not prompt for a login at
all. If it does, something is weird, whatever it is

> As for the CD burning speed having an affect, that's wierd.

It is indeed, but it seemed to help the other times. I don't get it
either, I treat this advice just like a magic incantation

Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:18 -0600, Anna EdwARds wrote:
> I remember reading on the wiki that logging in as root was possible on
> livecd but not the installed version.

Interesting info. But it was very hard to find it, as the single line
tacked onto the looong quote.

Could you please do us a favor and trim the quotes to the relevant
parts? That would make reading your replies much easier.

Also, HTML posting is discouraged on the list.

Thanks