Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Hard Drive -- How LARGE?

Pete Clapham wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> How large a hard drive can Intrepid handle? I would like to use my
> Seagate 1.5 Terabyte drives, but Intrepid seems not to want to admit
> they exist. Is there a work around that will solve the problem?

Are they SATA or IDE drives?

If you boot the liveCD, can gparted see the drives?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
"Michael Haney"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Pete Clapham <peteclapham@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> How large a hard drive can Intrepid handle? I would like to use my
> Seagate 1.5 Terabyte drives, but Intrepid seems not to want to admit
> they exist. Is there a work around that will solve the problem?
>
> Thanks.

Ubuntu uses EXT3 by default (I think) which has a maximum partition
limit of 32TB while XFS has a limit of 8 exabytes. Unless you chose
XFS during the install of Ubuntu then you're using EXT3 so there is no
problem with you using the whole drive if that is what you want

As to why it not being seen I can't answer that question. I know
Ubuntu can support SATA, my laptop has a SATA drive and I was able to
use it with Ubuntu just fine when I tried it.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Pete Clapham <peteclapham@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Hi, all --
>>
>> How large a hard drive can Intrepid handle? I would like to use my
>> Seagate 1.5 Terabyte drives, but Intrepid seems not to want to admit
>> they exist. Is there a work around that will solve the problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Ubuntu uses EXT3 by default (I think) which has a maximum partition
> limit of 32TB while XFS has a limit of 8 exabytes. Unless you chose
> XFS during the install of Ubuntu then you're using EXT3 so there is no
> problem with you using the whole drive if that is what you want
>
> As to why it not being seen I can't answer that question. I know
> Ubuntu can support SATA, my laptop has a SATA drive and I was able to
> use it with Ubuntu just fine when I tried it.

That doesn't mean the program won't have trouble, though. Dell systems
with Windows need to be put into a hybrid SATA mode so XP will see the
drive, and I don't know what the support was built into various kernels
of Ubuntu combined with particular controllers...I have a RIP CD (rescue
Linux) that booted and saw SATA drives within Linux, but when I ran
Partimage to copy an image to the drive, Partimage refused to
acknowledge the drive was there even though gparted could see it without
error and dmesg showed the kernel reading the device properly. Weird.

-Bart

Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Pete Clapham wrote:
> Bart --
>
> My drives are SATA. They could be seen during install (didn't try to
> boot the live CD), but they wouldn't format.

Okay...two things to try...

One, you can try booting the liveCD, see if gparted (the partition
editor in the menus, I believe) will see the drive and you can format
them with that utility before attempting the install.

Two, post an account of what is happening and the error that occurs at
the step you're running into the issue. Does it not get anywhere, does
it spit something out, etc.

If you are able to you can try the liveboot and post the dmesg output to
a txt file on a USB drive and transfer that to an email here for people
more knowledgeable than I to look at.