Old 11-04-2008, 01:36 PM
"Michael Haney"

Default gnome spell checker

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Davide Corio <davide.corio@domsense.com> wrote:
> Hi *,
> is it possibile to set a different language just for the spell checker?
>
> i've installed intrepid in english, but i often write emails and
> documents in italian, so i'd like to check those emails too.

I think Ubuntu users Aspell, the open source spell checker.

I'm certain your answer might be here ... http://aspell.net/man-html/index.html

Is anyone here familiar with Aspell and how to install additional
dictionary? I'm actually interested in this too as I want to add one
that does Romanji (aka the phonetic spelling of Japanese words in
Roman characters) if one exists.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Davide Corio

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 09:36 -0500, Michael Haney wrote:
> Is anyone here familiar with Aspell and how to install additional
> dictionary? I'm actually interested in this too as I want to add one
> that does Romanji (aka the phonetic spelling of Japanese words in
> Roman characters) if one exists.

that's not the real problem.
i can install new dictionaries via synaptic, but... how can i choose the
preferred one?

--
Davide Corio
email: davide.corio<at>domsense.com

Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:40:56 +0100, Davide Corio wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 09:36 -0500, Michael Haney wrote:
>> Is anyone here familiar with Aspell and how to install additional
>> dictionary? I'm actually interested in this too as I want to add one
>> that does Romanji (aka the phonetic spelling of Japanese words in Roman
>> characters) if one exists.
>
> that's not the real problem.
> i can install new dictionaries via synaptic, but... how can i choose the
> preferred one?

In Evolution I can set the language in which to do the spell-checking in
the Edit menu (last entry)

Aart

Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Davide Corio

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 18:28 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> In Evolution I can set the language in which to do the spell-checking in
> the Edit menu (last entry)

whoops!
So it is not gnome related

tnx

Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 15:26 +0100, Davide Corio wrote:
> is it possibile to set a different language just for the spell
> checker?
>
> i've installed intrepid in english, but i often write emails and
> documents in italian, so i'd like to check those emails too.

Certainly. I speak and write German, but use an English system. I just
go to menu System -> Administration -> Language support and check all
languages I want. Then I choose English as the default language (but
other users can choose other languages at the login screen).

Some applications might need to be told which language to use. E.g., I
use Evolution for mail and there it is in menu Edit -> Preferences ->
Composer or something.