Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Shams Fantar

Default wifi card

Hi,

On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.

If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no problem :

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-key XXXXXXXX
wireless-essid linksys

Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the wifi. I
don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to do, I have to
do everything in command line to be connected to any wifi network.

So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same thing.
What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu, anyway.

Thanks and see you.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

Ubuntu's NetworkManager won't make it work? It comes installed by default.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Shams Fantar

Diogo Böhm wrote:
> Ubuntu's NetworkManager won't make it work? It comes installed by default.
>
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
>

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Shams Fantar <sethurf@free.fr> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.
>>
>> If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no problem :
>>
>> auto wlan0
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>> wireless-key XXXXXXXX
>> wireless-essid linksys
>>
>> Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the wifi. I
>> don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to do, I have to
>> do everything in command line to be connected to any wifi network.
>>
>> So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
>> wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same thing.
>> What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu, anyway.
>>
>> Thanks and see you.
>>
>> --

Same problem...

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
"Michael Haney"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Shams Fantar <sethurf@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.
>
> If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no problem :
>
> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wireless-key XXXXXXXX
> wireless-essid linksys
>
> Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the wifi. I
> don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to do, I have to
> do everything in command line to be connected to any wifi network.
>
> So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
> wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same thing.
> What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu, anyway.
>
> Thanks and see you.

I'm curious, has support for Atheros wifi adapters been addressed yet
or not? Ubuntu 7.10 detected the card and drivers appeared in the
Hardware Drivers Manager but even with them enabled it still wouldn't
work under Network Manager. I have an Acer Aspire 4520 which uses an
Atheros wifi adapter with, ewww, a Broadcom chip. Atheros recommends
the MadWiFi drivers which are a part of Ubuntu Restricted Extras, but
they didn't help. I read that the new Kernel is supposed to address
wifi compatibility problems with Atheros adapters so I'm wondering if
anyone has an Acer laptop and got wifi working. Anyone?

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Shams Fantar <sethurf@free.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.
>>
>> If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no problem :
>>
>> auto wlan0
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>> wireless-key XXXXXXXX
>> wireless-essid linksys
>>
>> Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the wifi. I
>> don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to do, I have to
>> do everything in command line to be connected to any wifi network.
>>
>> So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
>> wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same thing.
>> What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu, anyway.
>>
>> Thanks and see you.
>
> I'm curious, has support for Atheros wifi adapters been addressed yet
> or not? Ubuntu 7.10 detected the card and drivers appeared in the
> Hardware Drivers Manager but even with them enabled it still wouldn't
> work under Network Manager. I have an Acer Aspire 4520 which uses an
> Atheros wifi adapter with, ewww, a Broadcom chip. Atheros recommends
> the MadWiFi drivers which are a part of Ubuntu Restricted Extras, but
> they didn't help. I read that the new Kernel is supposed to address
> wifi compatibility problems with Atheros adapters so I'm wondering if
> anyone has an Acer laptop and got wifi working. Anyone?

Atheros restricted drivers are supported transparently in Intrepid.
My old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop is proof of that. The wifi
is on a PCMCIA slot so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on an
Acer. Once I had done the upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid, I could not
file any changes made through Network Manager, and even though I could
get an IP from my DHCP server (verified in the router), I couldn't go
online via the wifi connection (no DNS). I wound up doing a clean
install of Intrepid which fixed that and it now works like a champ.
Though I did have to fiddle with my xorg.conf afterwards to get back
to 1024*768 resolution (it was stuck on small screen 800x600).
NP: nothing

Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:41:37 -0500
"Michael Haney" <thezorch@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Shams Fantar <sethurf@free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.
> >
> > If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no
> > problem :
> >
> > auto wlan0
> > iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> > wireless-key XXXXXXXX
> > wireless-essid linksys
> >
> > Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the
> > wifi. I don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to
> > do, I have to do everything in command line to be connected to any
> > wifi network.
> >
> > So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
> > wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same
> > thing. What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu,
> > anyway.
> >
> > Thanks and see you.
>
> I'm curious, has support for Atheros wifi adapters been addressed yet
> or not? Ubuntu 7.10 detected the card and drivers appeared in the
> Hardware Drivers Manager but even with them enabled it still wouldn't
> work under Network Manager. I have an Acer Aspire 4520 which uses an
> Atheros wifi adapter with, ewww, a Broadcom chip. Atheros recommends
> the MadWiFi drivers which are a part of Ubuntu Restricted Extras, but
> they didn't help. I read that the new Kernel is supposed to address
> wifi compatibility problems with Atheros adapters so I'm wondering if
> anyone has an Acer laptop and got wifi working. Anyone?

Seems to have been worked for 8.10. Resease Notes[1] state it is still
having issues with suspend, though.

[1]
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810#Wireless%20doesn%27t%20work%20after%20suspend% 20with%20ath_pci%20driver

Disclaimer: I don't have any wireless, myself.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Shams Fantar

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Shams Fantar <sethurf@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.
>>
>> If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no problem :
>>
>> auto wlan0
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>> wireless-key XXXXXXXX
>> wireless-essid linksys
>>
>> Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the wifi. I
>> don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to do, I have to
>> do everything in command line to be connected to any wifi network.
>>
>> So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
>> wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same thing.
>> What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu, anyway.
>>
>> Thanks and see you.
>>

> I'm curious, has support for Atheros wifi adapters been addressed yet
> or not? Ubuntu 7.10 detected the card and drivers appeared in the
> Hardware Drivers Manager but even with them enabled it still wouldn't
> work under Network Manager. I have an Acer Aspire 4520 which uses an
> Atheros wifi adapter with, ewww, a Broadcom chip. Atheros recommends
> the MadWiFi drivers which are a part of Ubuntu Restricted Extras, but
> they didn't help. I read that the new Kernel is supposed to address
> wifi compatibility problems with Atheros adapters so I'm wondering if
> anyone has an Acer laptop and got wifi working. Anyone?

Hey, why do you post on my topic ? Make a new topic please. Because we
don't have the same hardware. My laptop is a Toshiba.

For my problem, strangly, with the lspci command, I don't see my wifi
card, just the ethernet card.

My wifi always works if I do the connection mannualy by
/etc/network/interfaces...

Any ideas?