Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Pat

Default Creating a share

I'm trying to create a share on a second computer I have so I can access
it remotely, but I get a 255 error. I don't have 'permission' to do
this. Since I can't log in as root on an Ubuntu machine to do this, how
do I set up this share?

--
Pat Brown

pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
www.pabrown.ca

L.A. Heat & L.A. Mischief, hotter than ever!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
adam

What do you me 'create a share'?
Did you try to create a shared directory?

There are several ways to acheiv this, but you should figure out what
you want to do excactly.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Nils Kassube

Pat wrote:
> I'm trying to create a share on a second computer I have so I can
> access it remotely, but I get a 255 error. I don't have 'permission' to
> do this. Since I can't log in as root on an Ubuntu machine to do this,
> how do I set up this share?

Sorry, I can't help you with the share thing, but what do you mean
with "Since I can't log in as root on an Ubuntu machine to do this"? The
standard Ubuntu installation has the root account locked. You can login
as root e.g. with the command "sudo su". Look here for more details:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo>

Nils

Old 11-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:29:09AM -0500, Pat wrote:
> I'm trying to create a share on a second computer I have so I can access
> it remotely, but I get a 255 error. I don't have 'permission' to do
> this. Since I can't log in as root on an Ubuntu machine to do this, how
> do I set up this share?

I'd use nfs myself. Make sure the filesystem in question is exported
on the host system, then mount like a local filesystem (see man mount
and man nsfd). You've got to overcome the permission thing too, of
course. And make sure there aren't firewall or NAT issues in the way.

--
Hal

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Pat

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:29:09AM -0500, Pat wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to create a share on a second computer I have so I can access
>> it remotely, but I get a 255 error. I don't have 'permission' to do
>> this. Since I can't log in as root on an Ubuntu machine to do this, how
>> do I set up this share?
>>

> I'd use nfs myself. Make sure the filesystem in question is exported
> on the host system, then mount like a local filesystem (see man mount
> and man nsfd). You've got to overcome the permission thing too, of
> course. And make sure there aren't firewall or NAT issues in the way.

Actually it turned out all I needed to do after I installed Samba was to
log out and log back in. It's a known bug, #219892.