Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Detlef Lechner

Default What is the purpose of the gnome-settings-daemon process?

Hi,

What is the purpose of the gnome-settings-daemon process? Would it not
be enough to have configuration files for GNOME? Thus saving many
resources. Why is there necessary a daemon? Why is it necessary to use a
daemon to share settings from GNOME to GTK+ or KDE applications, as I
have read?

Regards,
Detlef Lechner

Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 06:51 +0100, Detlef Lechner wrote
> What is the purpose of the gnome-settings-daemon process? Would it not
> be enough to have configuration files for GNOME?

Then applications would not be notified if settings are changed, and you
would have to restart applications or log out/in to see the effect of
changes settings.

> Thus saving many resources.

Have you made measurements? I doubt that it uses noticeable resources.
If you want to save resources, you don't run Gnome in the first place.

> Why is there necessary a daemon? Why is it necessary to use a
> daemon to share settings from GNOME to GTK+ or KDE applications, as I
> have read?

This is a technical support list. You might want to take this up with
the Gnome developer lists. Don your flame suit

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Florian Diesch

Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net> wrote:

> What is the purpose of the gnome-settings-daemon process? Would it not
> be enough to have configuration files for GNOME? Thus saving many
> resources. Why is there necessary a daemon?

Using a daemon it's much easier to share settings between different
applications or multiple instances of the same application. Without a
daemon it's a nightmare to coordinate multiple programs if each of
them needs to read and write the same files (which is why you can't
run e.g. multiple Firefox instances using the same profile).

It can help you saving resources in some cases by reducing disk I/O
and parsing time.

> Why is it necessary to use a daemon to share settings from GNOME to
> GTK+ or KDE applications, as I have read?

If an application uses gconf for its settings it needs gconf to run.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>