Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Mark

Default What's the difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu?

Hi everyone:

I have a odd question.
What is the difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu? I am running Ubuntu
8.04 and wanted to know if maybe I should change to Xubuntu? Thanks.

Mark

Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Mark <markfpyles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have a odd question. What is the difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu? I
> am running Ubuntu 8.04 and wanted to know if maybe I should change to
> Xubuntu? Thanks.

Xubuntu is Ubuntu with the xfce desktop installed instead of the gnome
desktop, which is the default in ubuntu.

That being said, you don't have to install xubuntu if you already have
ubuntu, or another *ubuntu either, you can just install the relevant
desktop package. If you want to experiment, you can do

$ sudo aptitude install xfce4-desktop

and try it out.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Steve Lamb

Mark wrote:
> I have a odd question. What is the difference between Xubuntu and
> Ubuntu? I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and wanted to know if maybe I should
> change to Xubuntu? Thanks.

Ubuntu uses GNome as it's desktop environment. XUbuntu uses XFCE as it's
desktop environment but for some reason can't resist importing 1/2 of GNome
and messing both up in the process.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do

Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Mark

Hi Steve:

Thank you. Do most
people use Thunderbird for their email programs? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Mark

Hi David:

Thank you for your
help!!

Mark

Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Mark wrote:
> Hi Steve:
>

> Thank you. Do most people use Thunderbird for their email programs?
> Thanks.

I do. On both *nix and on Win2K. I can't speak for others but I'm very
happy with it.
NP: nothing

Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Mark

Hi Steven:

Thank you for your
input. Thunderbird is a nice program.

Mark

Steven Davies-Morris

Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> I have a odd question. What is the difference between Xubuntu and
>> Ubuntu? I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and wanted to know if maybe I should
>> change to Xubuntu? Thanks.
>
> Ubuntu uses GNome as it's desktop environment. XUbuntu uses XFCE as it's
> desktop environment but for some reason can't resist importing 1/2 of GNome
> and messing both up in the process.

You forgot to add that XCFE is a lightweight desktop environment for
slower machines with less RAM. XFCE looks and acts like Gnome because
its built from Gnome's source code.

Believe it or not, but back in the day Gnome looked and functioned
more like KDE than it does today. Gnome today is more like the menu
bar in Mac OS X minus the dock.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
"Gordon Schulz"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com> wrote:
> XFCE looks and acts like Gnome because its built from Gnome's source code.
They are both based upon GTK+, but XFCE is definately not build from
GNOME's source code.
--
Greetings,
Gordon.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Steve Lamb

Michael Haney wrote:
> You forgot to add that XCFE is a lightweight desktop environment for
> slower machines with less RAM. XFCE looks and acts like Gnome because
> its built from Gnome's source code.

No, it's not.

> Believe it or not, but back in the day Gnome looked and functioned
> more like KDE than it does today. Gnome today is more like the menu
> bar in Mac OS X minus the dock.

No, it didn't.