Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 AM
"ksh shrm"

Default How to restore "bashrc" file.

I was experimenting with bashrc and I didn't made any backup of this file.

Unluckily, i made some changes that are creating trouble when i start terminal.
like "A is not a command" or something like that.

I don't know how to use vi editor.
If there is anyway to get a default bashrc file, please tell me.

--
adios

KSH SHRM

People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care...

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Dienstag, den 04.11.2008, 09:20 +0530 schrieb ksh shrm:
> If there is anyway to get a default bashrc file, please tell me.

Open a terminal and type "cp /etc/skel/.bashrc ~" to overwrite
your .bashrc with the default version.

[x] ulf
--
Doing a job RIGHT the first time gets the job done.
Doing the job WRONG fourteen times gives you job security.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
"ksh shrm"

Still problems

When I start Terminal I get this

bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: line 65: syntax error: unexpected end of file
ksh@ubuntu:~$

How to get rid of this?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
"Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT)"

Post the file, specifically the lines from around 60 to 70.

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Bo Grimes

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:20:54AM +0530, ksh shrm wrote:
> I was experimenting with bashrc and I didn't made any backup of this file.
>
> Unluckily, i made some changes that are creating trouble when i start
> terminal.
> like "A is not a command" or something like that.
>
> I don't know how to use vi editor.
> If there is anyway to get a default bashrc file, please tell me.

I'm sure it's possible to get a default bashrc, but the best way to get one
specific for your system might be to create a new user. Assuming you made
no changes to bashrc before messing it up, create a new user then use gksu
nautilus to copy the new users bashrc to your yours.

Better yet, open both and compare them and try to see where you made the
mistake. Yoy don't need to know vi. Use gedit when in a graphical
environment, and I'd recomend nano in a shell if you are unfamiliar with
non-graphical text editors.

It does help to learn at least one non-graphical editor. You never know ehn
you'll be forced to use it.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Nils Kassube

ksh shrm wrote:
> Still problems
>
> When I start Terminal I get this
>
> bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: line 65: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> ksh@ubuntu:~$
>
> How to get rid of this?

Did you modify "/etc/bash.bashrc"? According to the error message the
error should be in that file. But the error is not necessarily at line 65
of that file.

Nils

Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 PM
"teicah teicah"

cp ~/.bashrc ~/.bashrc_faulty

cp /etc/.bashrc ~/

Should get you back to the default.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
"ksh shrm"

I reinstalled the system.

I actually corrupted it much coz i don't know how to use vi editor,

Thanks for asking.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Nils Kassube

ksh shrm wrote:
> I reinstalled the system.
> I actually corrupted it much coz i don't know how to use vi editor,

Sorry to hear you had to reinstall. If you want to avoid problems
from "vi", don't use it next time. Ubuntu has "nano" installed which is
easier to use if you need a command line editor.

Nils

Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM
"ksh shrm"

I'll master command line editing soon.