Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Mark

Default Still having problems viewing dvd's

Hi everyone:

Sorry to be such a
pain, but I am trying to use mplayer or any player for that matter that
will allow me to play my dvd's. I am searching for a player that will
allow me to have more control over the functions of the player and be
able to view the dvd menu. That isn't happening with mplayer. It shows
up for two seconds and that's the last I see of it. Do I not have
everything installed? I appreciate the help. Thank you.

I am using a Dell
Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Mark <markfpyles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> Sorry to be such a pain, but I am trying to use mplayer or any player for
> that matter that will allow me to play my dvd's. I am searching for a player
> that will allow me to have more control over the functions of the player and

I recommend vlc (sudo apt-get install vlc).

Can you access the dvd? e.g., mplayer dvd://1?

Sometimes using mplayer can be a bit tricky, it's really not designed
to be a dvd player per se, but just a media/file player. So, it won't
offer you with fancy menus, while the other ones will, such as vlc, or
maybe gxine.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Mark

Hi David:

I just wanted to say
thank you. VLC works great!!! Thanks again!

Mark

Old 11-04-2008, 04:21 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Mark <markfpyles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David:
>
> I just wanted to say thank you. VLC works great!!! Thanks again!

You're quite welcome!