Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Patrick Horgan

Default Help! Much doesn't work:(

I'm on 8.10 and I have a lot of problems. My sound quit working when I
upgraded. My sessions quit working when I upgraded, i.e. I have to log
into everything over again after logging back in.
System/Preferences/Sessions/Options/Remember Currently Running
Application has no effect. I've done all the sound debugging, tried
everything anyone ever recommended for pulseaudio or alsa. Everything's
set up right, nothing's muted, the right drivers for my hardware, (the
same one's as before the upgrade), are installed and in memory, all the
volumes are up, but no sound.
Before upgrading, and it's the reason I upgraded hoping that things
would get better, Openoffice had not worked for several weeks, seg
faulting in an openoffice library, but oddly enough Apport, even though
it does report other things, doesn't notice the seg fault, I have to be
in gdb to see it. Filing a bug report on it just got them to tell me it
was an invalid report because it didn't come via apport. The stuff in
~/.openoffice.org2 isn't set up correctly, (I can see it in strace,
failing in access just before the seg-fault), but deleting it and
letting it try to set up again doesn't help. Deleting openoffice and
reinstalling doesn't help.
Also, before upgrading all of my removable stuff quit working, i.e.
plugging in a CDROM, DVD, usb flash drive, or SD flash never results in
automatic mounting, although I can manually mount. Pushing the button
on the cd/dvd to eject quit working at the same time, although I can
eject from the command line.
I'm on a Dell inspiron 1420.

Patrick

Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Paul S

No solutions here, just sympathy.

Patrick Horgan said the following on 11/02/2008 06:44 PM:
> I'm on 8.10 and I have a lot of problems. My sound quit working when I
> upgraded. My sessions quit working when I upgraded, i.e. I have to log
> into everything over again after logging back in.
> System/Preferences/Sessions/Options/Remember Currently Running
> Application has no effect. I've done all the sound debugging, tried
> everything anyone ever recommended for pulseaudio or alsa. Everything's
> set up right, nothing's muted, the right drivers for my hardware, (the
> same one's as before the upgrade), are installed and in memory, all the
> volumes are up, but no sound.

I had to switch to OSS to get any sound on gnome, but alsa works on kde???

> Before upgrading, and it's the reason I upgraded hoping that things
> would get better, Openoffice had not worked for several weeks, seg
> faulting in an openoffice library, but oddly enough Apport, even though
> it does report other things, doesn't notice the seg fault, I have to be
> in gdb to see it. Filing a bug report on it just got them to tell me it
> was an invalid report because it didn't come via apport. The stuff in
> ~/.openoffice.org2 isn't set up correctly, (I can see it in strace,
> failing in access just before the seg-fault), but deleting it and
> letting it try to set up again doesn't help. Deleting openoffice and
> reinstalling doesn't help.
> Also, before upgrading all of my removable stuff quit working, i.e.
> plugging in a CDROM, DVD, usb flash drive, or SD flash never results in
> automatic mounting, although I can manually mount. Pushing the button
> on the cd/dvd to eject quit working at the same time, although I can
> eject from the command line.
> I'm on a Dell inspiron 1420.
>
> Patrick

You're not alone. I did a reinstall after encountering a bunch of
problems. After 1 day, the reinstall was no better than the upgrade.
Right now, I'm back on hardy.1 until 8.10 gets some more bug fixes.

I even had suspend and hibernate working well for 1 day, but now neither
works.

regards,