Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Jeff Davis

Default username and password error

Hello, I am attempting to run ubuntu for the very first time on an old North Star laptop. After several unsuccesful attems to install ubuntu 8.10 , I successfully installed the Alternate CD 6.10.* My only problem is that, after very carefully entering username and password, the system will not recognize either the username or the password. I have tried reformatting the hard drive several times to get past this problem but it still won't work and I cannot find any information under troubleshooting that covers this situation. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Jeff Davis

Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/2 Jeff Davis <purpledoesit@yahoo.com>:
> Hello,
> I am attempting to run ubuntu for the very first time on an old North Star
> laptop.
> After several unsuccesful attems to install ubuntu 8.10 , I successfully
> installed the Alternate CD 6.10. My only problem is that, after very
> carefully entering username and password, the system will not recognize
> either the username or the password.
> I have tried reformatting the hard drive several times to get past this
> problem but it still won't work and I cannot find any information under
> troubleshooting that covers this situation.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Thank you,
> Jeff Davis

In a recent install I am pretty sure that I entered the username
"intrepid", but the system created the user "ety" instead, which is
the user's Real Name. Maybe I made a mistake, but maybe you have the
same issue. I discovered that the user's name is ety by booting into
single user mode and reading /etc/passwd to see which users exist on
the system. Try that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com