Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
squareyes

Default Strange Optical drive problem

Hi all,
have posted this problem before, may some new info.

Machine Lenovo 0687 Optical drive will work OK to install both WinXP
and Ubuntu 8.04,
but once systems installed no longer exists. Will not read any CD's
after install in both XP or Ubuntu,
but will still look at bootable Disks after either system installed,
e.g. will run live gparted cd. Knoppix.
Any ideas much appreciated, Lenovo's only suggestion was to update bios,
which I have done.

Many thanks in advance
Take Care
Winton

Old 11-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> have posted this problem before, may some new info.
>
> Machine Lenovo 0687 Optical drive will work OK to install
> both WinXP
> and Ubuntu 8.04,
> but once systems installed no longer exists. Will not read
> any CD's
> after install in both XP or Ubuntu,
> but will still look at bootable Disks after either system
> installed,
> e.g. will run live gparted cd. Knoppix.
> Any ideas much appreciated, Lenovo's only suggestion
> was to update bios,
> which I have done.

No expert here by any stretch but have you:

Unmounted the cd drive before removing the disk? Seem that can be a problem from what I've seen on the list.

Installed the w32codecs and w64codecs if using 64 bit ubuntu. If you have 64 bit I think you may need both but for sure you need 32 bit if not on a 64 bit machine. Also enable the mediabuntu mirror. How to enable it was mentioned on the list this month but I don't remember the details. Googling should get you there.

If this doesn't solve your issue then wait for better help as this is all I remember.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 AM
squareyes

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]
Thanks Leonard,
drive works to install, but will not look at any nonbootable cd's
Ran lshw, and there is no cdrom listed.
Winton

Old 11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Nigel Henry

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 03:42, squareyes wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Just a thought, as I recollect a similar problem in the past, where if the
cdrom was first in the boot list in the BIOS, the optical drive had problems
when the machine was booted up.

It may be worth a try, to change the boot order, and put the harddrive to boot
first, then see if there are any changes when you boot up.

My problem was after replacing a broken Sony optical drive, with a new Samsung
combo drive.

Nigel.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 AM
squareyes

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 03:42, squareyes wrote:
>
>> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Hi Nigel,
tried re-organizing boot order,
Same result, no change.
Thanks
Take Care
Winton

Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 13:35, squareyes wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

Hi Winton. Sorry that didn't work, but thinking about it my distro wouldn't
boot with the cdrom drive in first place in the boot ordering, so a different
problem to yours.

The fact that neither XP, or Ubuntu can see the optical drive seems to
indicate a BIOS problem, or some setting that needs to be changed for the
optical drive in the BIOS. It's worth a good look through the various menu
items in your BIOS.

For example, and the mobo I have on this pc is going to be different to yours,
but the "Main" menu item in the BIOS shows IDE Configuration.

The mobo has 1 IDE controller which can handle 2 drives (master, and slave),
and 4 SATA controllers, 2 of which have harddrives connected to them.

Looking at Primary IDE Master, this shows the optical drive [ATAPI DVD A
DH21]. Down arrow to this entry, and enter, and there's a bunch of info for
the optical drive, plus the ability to change some stuff as below.

Type: (currently set to auto), but has options also for CDROM, and ARMD
(whatever that is.

PIO Mode: (currently set to auto, but with 5 options as alternatives to auto).

DMA Mode: (currently set to auto, and a whole bunch of options).

If the optical drive is seen in the BIOS, it's worth trying different DMA
Modes. Auto should work, but maybe sometimes you have to set a specific mode.

I'm not doubting the output from lshw, but have a look at dmesg in a terminal.
It's a long file, and my optical drive shows up some 2/3rds down the file.

Also have a look in the /dev directory/folder. Depending on what your optical
drive is capable of, you may see symlinks for cdrom, cdrw, dvd, and dvdrw. In
my case these symlinks are all pointing to hda, which is the block device for
the optical drive. This is with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10.

With Hardy Heron 8.04, the same symlinks above point to scd0, which again is
the block device for the optical drive, but due to changes, newer kernels,
libata is now being used, and all block devices are now viewed as scsi
devices, hence the reason that my optical drive on GG is shown as hda, but on
HH, is shown as scd0.

None of the above may be of any help to you. It would be nice to have your
laptop in front of me, and I could play around with it. Such is not the case
though, and I feel a bit like the blind leading the blind.

Sorry I can't be more positive in helping you to resolve your problem.

Nigel.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 AM
squareyes

Nigel Henry wrote:

[...]

many thanks for your efforts, have attached output of dmesg,
can't see any reference to scd at all, appears "No block devices found"

The bios doesn't seem to have any settings to access cdrom drive settings.
Bios
Main - System time
System date
Quiet Boot - (enabled)
Network Boot - (enabled)

Advanced Legacy USB support - (enabled)
Modem (enabled)
SATA ControllerMode Option - (Compatability)
Other option AHCI.
Needs to be set to "Compatability" to "See" the Hard Drive to install,
have tried both options

after install, same result.

Device folder
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1

squareyes@here:/media$ ls
cdrom cdrom0
squareyes@here:/media$ mount /cdrom
mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist (understandable)

Weather here is warming up, your welcome to move here (South Australia)
for a couple of weeks if you would really care to have this machine in
front of you. No white Christmases here, 30 C here today and it's
looking like we will have a very hot summer :-)

Again many thanks
take care
Winton

[ 19.332529] Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
[ 19.332678] CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000 0000e39d 00000000 00000001 00000000
[ 19.332688] monitor/mwait feature present.
[ 19.332690] using mwait in idle threads.
[ 19.332695] CPU: L1 I cache: 32K, L1 D cache: 32K
[ 19.332698] CPU: L2 cache: 1024K
[ 19.332701] CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
[ 19.332702] CPU: Processor Core ID: 0
[ 19.332705] CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00003940 0000e39d 00000000 00000001 00000000
[ 19.332716] Compat vDSO mapped to ffffe000.
[ 19.332730] Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
[ 19.348880] SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
[ 19.350750] Early unpacking initramfs... done
[ 19.761256] ACPI: Core revision 20070126
[ 19.761313] ACPI: Looking for DSDT in initramfs... error, file /DSDT.aml not found.
[ 19.828623] CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz stepping 0d
[ 19.828642] SMP alternatives: switching to SMP code
[ 19.829441] Booting processor 1/1 eip 3000
[ 19.839555] Initializing CPU#1
[ 19.919671] Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 2926.03 BogoMIPS (lpj=5852074)
[ 19.919679] CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000 0000e39d 00000000 00000001 00000000
[ 19.919685] monitor/mwait feature present.
[ 19.919689] CPU: L1 I cache: 32K, L1 D cache: 32K
[ 19.919691] CPU: L2 cache: 1024K
[ 19.919693] CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
[ 19.919694] CPU: Processor Core ID: 1
[ 19.919696] CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00003940 0000e39d 00000000 00000001 00000000
[ 19.920211] CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz stepping 0d
[ 19.920236] Total of 2 processors activated (5855.72 BogoMIPS).
[ 19.920434] ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
[ 19.920637] ..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
[ 20.067599] checking TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]: passed.
[ 20.087590] Brought up 2 CPUs
[ 20.087616] CPU0 attaching sched-domain:
[ 20.087619] domain 0: span 03
[ 20.087621] groups: 01 02
[ 20.087625] CPU1 attaching sched-domain:
[ 20.087627] domain 0: span 03
[ 20.087628] groups: 02 01
[ 20.087871] net_namespace: 64 bytes
[ 20.087879] Booting paravirtualized kernel on bare hardware
[ 20.088432] Time: 16:33:37 Date: 11/06/08
[ 20.088463] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[ 20.088671] EISA bus registered
[ 20.088676] ACPI: bus type pci registered
[ 20.089269] PCI: PCI BIOS revision 3.00 entry at 0xfdc01, last bus=10
[ 20.089272] PCI: Using configuration type 1
[ 20.089274] Setting up standard PCI resources
[ 20.092191] ACPI: EC: Look up EC in DSDT
[ 20.095267] ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
[ 20.095269] ACPI: DMI System Vendor: LENOVO
[ 20.095271] ACPI: DMI Product Name: 0687A31
[ 20.095273] ACPI: DMI Product Version: LENOVO3000 N200
[ 20.095275] ACPI: DMI Board Name: INVALID
[ 20.095276] ACPI: DMI BIOS Vendor: LENOVO
[ 20.095278] ACPI: DMI BIOS Date: 04/03/2008
[ 20.095280] ACPI: Please send DMI info above to linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org
[ 20.095282] ACPI: If "acpi_osi=Linux" works better, please notify linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org
[ 20.096430] ACPI: Interpreter enabled
[ 20.096433] ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
[ 20.096449] ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
[ 20.097148] ACPI: EC: non-query interrupt received, switching to interrupt mode
[ 20.117710] ACPI: EC: GPE = 0x17, I/O: command/status = 0x66, data = 0x62
[ 20.117713] ACPI: EC: driver started in interrupt mode
[ 20.117763] ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)
[ 20.118920] PCI quirk: region 1000-107f claimed by ICH6 ACPI/GPIO/TCO
[ 20.118925] PCI quirk: region 1180-11bf claimed by ICH6 GPIO
[ 20.120756] PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:00:1e.0
[ 20.120809] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0._PRT]
[ 20.121223] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.RP01._PRT]
[ 20.121371] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.RP02._PRT]
[ 20.121517] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.RP03._PRT]
[ 20.121687] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PCIB._PRT]
[ 20.135492] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 1 3 4 *5 6 7 10 12 14 15)
[ 20.135614] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 14 15) *10
[ 20.135733] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15) *11
[ 20.135852] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 14 15) *10
[ 20.135970] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
[ 20.136089] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs 1 *3 4 5 6 7 11 12 14 15)
[ 20.136206] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs 1 3 *4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15)
[ 20.136323] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 *7 11 12 14 15)
[ 20.137621] ACPI: Power Resource [PUBS] (on)
[ 20.137687] Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
[ 20.137720] pnp: PnP ACPI init
[ 20.137729] ACPI: bus type pnp registered
[ 20.141779] pnp: PnP ACPI: found 10 devices
[ 20.141782] ACPI: ACPI bus type pnp unregistered
[ 20.141786] PnPBIOS: Disabled by ACPI PNP
[ 20.142041] PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
[ 20.142045] PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq". If it helps, post a report
[ 20.287344] NET: Registered protocol family 8
[ 20.287347] NET: Registered protocol family 20
[ 20.287384] hpet0: at MMIO 0xfed00000, IRQs 2, 8, 0
[ 20.287389] hpet0: 3 64-bit timers, 14318180 Hz
[ 20.288429] AppArmor: AppArmor Filesystem Enabled
[ 20.291177] Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.
[ 20.291193] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 0
[ 20.291308] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1
[ 20.304159] system 00:01: iomem range 0xfed1c000-0xfed1ffff could not be reserved
[ 20.304162] system 00:01: iomem range 0xfed14000-0xfed17fff could not be reserved
[ 20.304166] system 00:01: iomem range 0xfed18000-0xfed18fff could not be reserved
[ 20.304169] system 00:01: iomem range 0xfed19000-0xfed19fff could not be reserved
[ 20.304172] system 00:01: iomem range 0xe0000000-0xefffffff could not be reserved
[ 20.304176] system 00:01: iomem range 0xfed20000-0xfed3ffff could not be reserved
[ 20.304179] system 00:01: iomem range 0xfed45000-0xfed8ffff could not be reserved
[ 20.304189] system 00:06: iomem range 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff could not be reserved
[ 20.304197] system 00:08: ioport range 0x800-0x80f has been reserved
[ 20.304200] system 00:08: ioport range 0x1000-0x107f has been reserved
[ 20.304203] system 00:08: ioport range 0x1180-0x11bf has been reserved
[ 20.304207] system 00:08: ioport range 0xfe00-0xfe00 has been reserved
[ 20.334642] PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.0
[ 20.334647] IO window: 2000-2fff
[ 20.334654] MEM window: f2000000-f3ffffff
[ 20.334659] PREFETCH window: f0000000-f1ffffff
[ 20.334666] PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.1
[ 20.334668] IO window: disabled.
[ 20.334675] MEM window: f4200000-f42fffff
[ 20.334680] PREFETCH window: disabled.
[ 20.334686] PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.2
[ 20.334688] IO window: disabled.
[ 20.334694] MEM window: f4300000-f43fffff
[ 20.334699] PREFETCH window: disabled.
[ 20.334707] PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1e.0
[ 20.334708] IO window: disabled.
[ 20.334715] MEM window: f4400000-f44fffff
[ 20.334720] PREFETCH window: disabled.
[ 20.334761] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[ 20.334769] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.0 to 64
[ 20.334799] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.1[b] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
[ 20.334805] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.1 to 64
[ 20.334834] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.2[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[ 20.334841] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.2 to 64
[ 20.334858] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1e.0 to 64
[ 20.334871] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[ 20.372105] IP route cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
[ 20.372382] TCP established hash table entries: 131072 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)
[ 20.372959] TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
[ 20.373345] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 131072 bind 65536)
[ 20.373349] TCP reno registered
[ 20.384210] checking if image is initramfs... it is
[ 21.192203] Freeing initrd memory: 7702k freed
[ 21.192395] Simple Boot Flag at 0x35 set to 0x1
[ 21.193080] audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
[ 21.193097] audit(1225989217.632:1): initialized
[ 21.193290] highmem bounce pool size: 64 pages
[ 21.195496] VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
[ 21.195587] Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
[ 21.195743] io scheduler noop registered
[ 21.195746] io scheduler anticipatory registered
[ 21.195748] io scheduler deadline registered
[ 21.195761] io scheduler cfq registered (default)
[ 21.195774] Boot video device is 0000:00:02.0
[ 29.183309] 0000:00:1d.7 EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 01010001
[ 29.183458] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.0 to 64
[ 29.183529] assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
[ 29.183588] Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.0cie00]
[ 29.183625] Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.0cie02]
[ 29.183742] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.1 to 64
[ 29.183812] assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
[ 29.183867] Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.1cie00]
[ 29.183900] Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.1cie02]
[ 29.184016] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.2 to 64
[ 29.184086] assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
[ 29.184141] Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.2cie00]
[ 29.184174] Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.2cie02]
[ 29.184466] isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
[ 29.539023] isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
[ 29.566897] Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
[ 29.567158] hpet_resources: 0xfed00000 is busy
[ 29.567188] Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
[ 29.568514] RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 65536K size 1024 blocksize
[ 29.568585] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input0
[ 29.568696] PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:KBD0,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
[ 29.578779] i8042.c: Detected active multiplexing controller, rev 1.1.
[ 29.585612] serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
[ 29.585617] serio: i8042 AUX0 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[ 29.585620] serio: i8042 AUX1 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[ 29.585623] serio: i8042 AUX2 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[ 29.585625] serio: i8042 AUX3 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[ 29.594831] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[ 29.594960] EISA: Probing bus 0 at eisa.0
[ 29.594969] Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 1
[ 29.594972] Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 2
[ 29.595003] EISA: Detected 0 cards.
[ 29.595007] cpuidle: using governor ladder
[ 29.595009] cpuidle: using governor menu
[ 29.595102] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[ 29.595134] Using IPI No-Shortcut mode
[ 29.595166] registered taskstats version 1
[ 29.595311] Magic number: 0:208:590
[ 29.595349] hash matches device ptyc8
[ 29.595401] BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 0 devices found
[ 29.595403] EDD information not available.
[ 29.595607] Freeing unused kernel memory: 364k freed
[ 29.631763] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input1
[ 30.914698] fuse init (API version 7.9)
[ 30.937606] ACPI: SSDT 3F6D80B4, 01F6 (r1 PmRef Cpu0Ist 3000 INTL 20061109)
[ 30.937867] ACPI: SSDT 3F6D7A45, 05EA (r1 PmRef Cpu0Cst 3001 INTL 20061109)
[ 30.938554] Monitor-Mwait will be used to enter C-1 state
[ 30.938558] Monitor-Mwait will be used to enter C-2 state
[ 30.938669] ACPI: CPU0 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2])
[ 30.938939] ACPI: SSDT 3F6D82AA, 00C8 (r1 PmRef Cpu1Ist 3000 INTL 20061109)
[ 30.939179] ACPI: SSDT 3F6D802F, 0085 (r1 PmRef Cpu1Cst 3000 INTL 20061109)
[ 30.940022] ACPI: CPU1 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2])
[ 30.955240] ACPI: Thermal Zone [TZS0] (52 C)
[ 30.960330] ACPI: Thermal Zone [TZS1] (58 C)
[ 31.123400] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[ 31.123428] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[ 31.123462] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[ 31.125216] USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
[ 31.125280] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1a.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[ 31.125293] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1a.0 to 64
[ 31.125299] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: UHCI Host Controller
[ 31.125561] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[ 31.125602] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: irq 16, io base 0x00001820
[ 31.125773] usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 31.125802] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 31.125808] hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 31.228700] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1a.1[b] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
[ 31.228713] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1a.1 to 64
[ 31.228719] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.1: UHCI Host Controller
[ 31.228746] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[ 31.228782] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.1: irq 19, io base 0x00001840
[ 31.228909] usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 31.228935] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 31.228941] hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 31.332571] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.0[A] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
[ 31.332585] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.0 to 64
[ 31.332591] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: UHCI Host Controller
[ 31.332617] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
[ 31.332654] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: irq 20, io base 0x00001860
[ 31.332785] usb usb3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 31.332812] hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 31.332818] hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 31.436440] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.1[b] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
[ 31.436454] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.1 to 64
[ 31.436459] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: UHCI Host Controller
[ 31.436490] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
[ 31.436528] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: irq 21, io base 0x00001880
[ 31.436663] usb usb4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 31.436689] hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 31.436695] hub 4-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 31.528417] SCSI subsystem initialized
[ 31.540299] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.2[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[ 31.540313] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.2 to 64
[ 31.540318] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: UHCI Host Controller
[ 31.540346] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
[ 31.540385] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: irq 18, io base 0x000018a0
[ 31.540521] usb usb5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 31.540549] hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 31.540554] hub 5-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 31.567683] libata version 3.00 loaded.
[ 31.644193] tg3.c:v3.86 (November 9, 2007)
[ 31.644283] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
[ 31.644302] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64
[ 31.985806] eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95906) rev c002 PHY(5906)] (PCI Express) 10/100Base-TX Ethernet 00:16:d3:c1:4b:bd
[ 31.985815] eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] WireSpeed[0] TSOcap[1]
[ 31.985818] eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]
[ 31.985888] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:0a:09.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[ 32.038631] ohci1394: fw-host0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[16] MMIO=[f4400000-f44007ff] Max Packet=[2048] IR/IT contexts=[4/4]
[ 32.042687] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1a.7[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[ 32.042709] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1a.7 to 64
[ 32.042714] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: EHCI Host Controller
[ 32.042759] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 6
[ 32.046679] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: debug port 1
[ 32.046688] PCI: cache line size of 32 is not supported by device 0000:00:1a.7
[ 32.046696] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: irq 18, io mem 0xf4704800
[ 32.059500] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
[ 32.059639] usb usb6: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 32.059668] hub 6-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 32.059676] hub 6-0:1.0: 4 ports detected
[ 32.167492] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.7[A] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
[ 32.167515] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to 64
[ 32.167519] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI Host Controller
[ 32.167550] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 7
[ 32.171480] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: debug port 1
[ 32.171488] PCI: cache line size of 32 is not supported by device 0000:00:1d.7
[ 32.171495] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: irq 20, io mem 0xf4704c00
[ 32.187327] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
[ 32.187453] usb usb7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 32.187480] hub 7-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 32.187487] hub 7-0:1.0: 6 ports detected
[ 32.287575] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
[ 32.287620] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.1 to 64
[ 32.287636] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1f.1 disabled
[ 32.288906] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: version 3.0
[ 32.288940] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[b] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[ 33.289884] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 3 ports 3 Gbps 0x7 impl SATA mode
[ 33.289890] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: flags: 64bit ncq sntf pm led clo pio slum part
[ 33.289897] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64
[ 33.290182] scsi0 : ahci
[ 33.290455] scsi1 : ahci
[ 33.290625] scsi2 : ahci
[ 33.290732] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf4704000 port 0xf4704100 irq 220
[ 33.290737] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf4704000 port 0xf4704180 irq 220
[ 33.290741] ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf4704000 port 0xf4704200 irq 220
[ 33.322022] ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[ffd31600bd4bc1ff]
[ 33.765235] ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[ 33.766036] ata1.00: ATA-7: ST9120822AS, 3.CLF, max UDMA/100
[ 33.766040] ata1.00: 234441648 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (not used)
[ 33.767901] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 34.077817] ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[ 34.389405] ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[ 34.389587] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA ST9120822AS 3.CL PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 34.389982] ata_piix 0000:00:1f.1: version 2.12
[ 34.390002] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
[ 34.390044] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.1 to 64
[ 34.390118] scsi3 : ata_piix
[ 34.390300] scsi4 : ata_piix
[ 34.390964] ata4: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 bmdma 0x1810 irq 14
[ 34.390967] ata5: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0x1818 irq 15
[ 34.399841] Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
[ 34.404436] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 234441648 512-byte hardware sectors (120034 MB)
[ 34.404450] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 34.404453] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 34.404473] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 34.404532] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 234441648 512-byte hardware sectors (120034 MB)
[ 34.404543] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 34.404546] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 34.404564] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 34.404568] sda: sda1 sda2
[ 34.604820] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[ 34.610894] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[ 34.978894] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
[ 34.978910] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[ 42.398748] Linux agpgart interface v0.102
[ 42.474693] agpgart: Detected an Intel 965GM Chipset.
[ 42.475327] agpgart: Detected 7676K stolen memory.
[ 42.490541] agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000
[ 42.550612] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
[ 42.586624] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[ 42.680202] input: Power Button (FF) as /devices/virtual/input/input2
[ 42.702311] ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
[ 42.702437] input: Lid Switch as /devices/virtual/input/input3
[ 42.703424] ACPI: Lid Switch [LID0]
[ 42.703503] input: Sleep Button (CM) as /devices/virtual/input/input4
[ 42.726280] ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]
[ 42.726386] ACPI: WMI-Acer: Mapper loaded
[ 42.945173] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input5
[ 42.953962] ACPI: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes rom: no post: no)
[ 43.390710] ACPI: AC Adapter [ADP1] (on-line)
[ 43.510639] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
[ 43.510671] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
[ 43.529458] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)
[ 43.796914] iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, 1.2.0
[ 43.796919] iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2007 Intel Corporation
[ 43.797061] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[ 43.797078] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:00.0 to 64
[ 43.797101] iwl3945: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
[ 43.927689] iTCO_vendor_support: vendor-support=0
[ 43.951666] iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.02 (26-Jul-2007)
[ 43.951816] iTCO_wdt: Found a ICH8M TCO device (Version=2, TCOBASE=0x1060)
[ 43.951879] iTCO_wdt: initialized. heartbeat=30 sec (nowayout=0)
[ 44.259254] sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
[ 44.259259] sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
[ 44.317179] ricoh-mmc: Ricoh MMC Controller disabling driver
[ 44.317183] ricoh-mmc: Copyright(c) Philip Langdale
[ 44.351548] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input6
[ 45.319250] Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.3, id: 0x25c0b1, caps: 0xa04713/0x200000
[ 45.374084] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio2/input/input7
[ 45.853206] sdhci: SDHCI controller found at 0000:0a:09.1 [1180:0822] (rev 19)
[ 45.853239] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:0a:09.1[b] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[ 45.853265] sdhci:slot0: Will use DMA mode even though HW doesn't fully claim to support it.
[ 45.853330] mmc0: SDHCI at 0xf4400800 irq 18 DMA
[ 45.864944] ricoh-mmc: Ricoh MMC controller found at 0000:0a:09.2 [1180:0843] (rev 1)
[ 45.864960] ricoh-mmc: Controller is now disabled.
[ 45.943742] iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
[ 45.943744] Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.
[ 45.950236] iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
[ 45.960250] iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
[ 45.980184] iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
[ 46.007630] iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
[ 46.027549] iwl3945: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
[ 46.062889] lp: driver loaded but no devices found
[ 46.750916] EXT3 FS on sda2, internal journal
[ 48.073646] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[ 48.542024] No dock devices found.
[ 49.698581] apm: BIOS not found.
[ 49.834553] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
[ 49.971241] audit(1225951447.017:2): type=1503 operation="inode_permission" requested_mask="a::" denied_mask="a::" name="/dev/tty" pid=5038 profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" namespace="default"
[ 51.286368] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
[ 51.290053] NET: Registered protocol family 31
[ 51.290062] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 51.290069] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 51.361260] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.9
[ 51.361269] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 51.439928] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 51.439942] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 51.439944] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
[ 55.448149] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[ 55.451922] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[ 55.451940] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:02.0 to 64
[ 55.454024] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
[ 85.255986] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[ 85.257258] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
[ 85.258685] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[ 93.388778] CPU0 attaching NULL sched-domain.
[ 93.388790] CPU1 attaching NULL sched-domain.
[ 93.405690] CPU0 attaching sched-domain:
[ 93.405696] domain 0: span 03
[ 93.405699] groups: 01 02
[ 93.405703] CPU1 attaching sched-domain:
[ 93.405704] domain 0: span 03
[ 93.405706] groups: 02 01
[ 198.673301] usb 3-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[ 198.850275] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 199.019062] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
[ 199.032261] input: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.0/input/input8
[ 199.068853] input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1
[ 199.068890] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[ 199.068898] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
squareyes@here:~$ ~~

Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 06 November 2008 07:54, squareyes wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 November 2008 13:35, squareyes wrote:
> >> Nigel Henry wrote:

> > The fact that neither XP, or Ubuntu can see the optical drive seems to
> > indicate a BIOS problem, or some setting that needs to be changed for the
> > optical drive in the BIOS. It's worth a good look through the various
> > menu items in your BIOS.
> >

> > Also have a look in the /dev directory/folder. Depending on what your
> > optical drive is capable of, you may see symlinks for cdrom, cdrw, dvd,
> > and dvdrw. In my case these symlinks are all pointing to hda, which is
> > the block device for the optical drive. This is with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
> > 7.10.

> > Nigel.
>
> Hi Nigel,
> many thanks for your efforts, have attached output of dmesg,
> can't see any reference to scd at all, appears "No block devices found"
>
> The bios doesn't seem to have any settings to access cdrom drive settings.
> Bios
> Main - System time
> System date
> Quiet Boot - (enabled)
> Network Boot - (enabled)
>
> Advanced Legacy USB support - (enabled)
> Modem (enabled)
> SATA ControllerMode Option - (Compatability)
> Other option AHCI.
> Needs to be set to "Compatability" to "See" the Hard Drive to install,
> have tried both options
> after install, same result.
>
> Device folder
> /dev/sda
> /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda2
> /dev/sdb
> /dev/sdb1
>
> squareyes@here:/media$ ls
> cdrom cdrom0
> squareyes@here:/media$ mount /cdrom
> mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist (understandable)
>
> Weather here is warming up, your welcome to move here (South Australia)
> for a couple of weeks if you would really care to have this machine in
> front of you. No white Christmases here, 30 C here today and it's
> looking like we will have a very hot summer :-)
>
> Again many thanks
> take care
> Winton

Hi Winton.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. I've been reading through posts on the Lenovo forum
for the 3000 this afternoon, and there are a bunch of folks unhappy with the
optical drives that come on the 3000. Matsushita is one make that stands out.

From other hits I got on Google, including one of yours from earlier in the
year, I saw the following stuff, and did you try appending the kernel line in
Grub with, combined_mode=libata ?

Anyway. One guy said the only distros he installed, where the optical drive
worked, were Slackware, and Foresight. Then he said that the solution he
found was to use LiLo as the bootloader instead of Grub, and that was with
Mandriva 2008.1 Free.

It's not the first time that I've seen using LiLo instead of Grub, has
resolved some problems that Grub seems unable to deal with.

Someone else had problems with the drive after installing iTunes. But that was
something that seemed to be specific to Windows Vista, and there was a fix
given.

And yet another suggestion was to append the kernel line in Grub, with:
all-generic-ide
That may well be worth a try. When you get the grub menu, press E, then down
arrow to kernel, and press E again. If the "quiet splash" is at the end of
the kernel line, use backspace to remove it, and add the "all-generic-ide"
bit (without the quotes), to the end of the kernel line after leaving one
space. Then press Enter, followed by pressing the B key.

Removing the "quiet splash" bit will enable you to see a bunch of text when
you boot, which is pretty much as you see in dmesg, but sometimes there is
stuff which isn't saved in dmesg. It does scroll past pretty fast.

The guy above who suggested LiLo as a fix, said that before he installed
Fedora 9 (his first install of Linux on the machine, and dual booting with
XP), the dvd rom drive was working ok with XP. It was only after installing
Fedora 9, that the drive no longer worked, either with XP, or Fedora 9.

Did the dvdrom drive work for you, when you only had XP on the machine?

I can't make the trip to Oz, but it sounds nice. Barbie on the beach on
Christmas day sounds quite surreal from where I'm living in Northern France.

I'll try to find out how to install LiLo instead of Grub. Synaptic shows LiLo
as available to install on my Kubuntu GG install, but having never replaced a
bootloader with a different one, I don't want to mess up anything with any of
my currently installed distros. I have a bunch of freespace on another
harddrive, and am 93% done on downloading the iso for Intrepid Ibex (on
dialup). I don't remember there being an option to use LiLo on my GG, and HH
installs, but we'll see. If not I'll install Grub as bootloader for Intrepid
8.10, then play around with replacing Grub with LiLo, which should be
interesting to say the least.

All the best mate.

Nigel.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
squareyes

Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
>
> Did the dvdrom drive work for you, when you only had XP on the machine?
>
> I can't make the trip to Oz, but it sounds nice. Barbie on the beach on
> Christmas day sounds quite surreal from where I'm living in Northern France.
>
> I'll try to find out how to install LiLo instead of Grub. Synaptic shows LiLo
> as available to install on my Kubuntu GG install, but having never replaced a
> bootloader with a different one, I don't want to mess up anything with any of
> my currently installed distros. I have a bunch of freespace on another
> harddrive, and am 93% done on downloading the iso for Intrepid Ibex (on
> dialup). I don't remember there being an option to use LiLo on my GG, and HH
> installs, but we'll see. If not I'll install Grub as bootloader for Intrepid
> 8.10, then play around with replacing Grub with LiLo, which should be

Hi Nigel,
thanks, drive didn't work win XP, have already tried those above, no
success, so have just had a chat
with LENOVO tech support(3rd time), without any joy. Seems according to
them a software problem and needs Vista for the drivers,
needs the image the machine had on it at point of sale. Sounds a bit
like anyone with this machine is being almost forced to use Vista(Drive
doesn't even work with Win XP ), I thought that was illegal. Sounds a
bit like a consumer affairs problem.
They(Lenovo) don't have any drivers that will correct the problem even
with XP, so I guess it's a case of "buyer beware" won't get another
Lenovo, unless it is proven to work with software I wish to install,
be it Win XP or Linux. Seems that it's a pretty basic expectation that
CD drives just work these days.

I will email Lenovo parent company letting them know about the situation
and their potential loss of business, though I doubt they will care very
much.

Guess I will persevere with the external combo drive I have been using,
just that my bag is starting to get a bit heavy :-) I help some older
people with no internet connection set up Ubuntu and install with my
connection. It must sound strange to you that Christmas temperatures
here are in the high 30's
usually. It's hard to imagine a cold one, we never get snow and ice here
at any time of year.

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Take Care.
Winton

Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
NoOp

On 11/07/2008 03:20 AM, squareyes wrote:

> Guess I will persevere with the external combo drive I have been using,
> just that my bag is starting to get a bit heavy :-) I help some older
> people with no internet connection set up Ubuntu and install with my
> connection. It must sound strange to you that Christmas temperatures
> here are in the high 30's
> usually. It's hard to imagine a cold one, we never get snow and ice here
> at any time of year.

Is this what you used to update the bios?
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68504.html

If so, maybe it didn't work. If not, maybe it will help resolve your
issue. Note "(Fix) Boot error occurs at Intel ICH8M SATA
initialization." See:

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=Intel+ICH8M+SATA

These may be related:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62909.html
read
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7tim04ww.txt
for hints on the bios and SATA settings.
<http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/23/windows-xp-setup-could-not-detect-and-find-any-sata-hard-disk-drive-on-ahci-mode/>

Yes, I know that the above are primarily hard drive oriented, but they
point to ACHI and SATA issues that very likely are also affecting your
optical drive as well. Read through them & perhaps you may be able to
either figure out a solution, or find enough info to ask Lenovo if your
problem may be the same. I'd also check to see if a firmware update for
your optical drive will resolve the issue - example:
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67604>

You might also want to look around on
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-48NT8D>
and see if you find a related issue/fix.