Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Abhishek biswas

Default I Have a PC with Windows PX SP2 installed in C drive

Hello,
*I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 32-bit on my PC,it already have windows PX Ps2 in Crive
*D,E, and F frive contains some folders etc ,Can I installed Kbuntu 8.04 on F drive 40 Gb after formatting or deleting the folders etc.My PC rig is Intel E6550 ,2.33GHz, 1333FSB,4MB L2 Cache, Intel DG33FB motherboard ,2GB DDR2* RAm and 160 GB Sata HDD
.Should after installing all the motherrboard Graphics and sound drivers will work.Please Guide me hhow to Properly install and Run Kubuntu 8.04 .
Thanks
Shanpav

Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/4 Abhishek biswas <abhishek_biswas55@yahoo.com>:
> Hello,
> I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 32-bit on my PC,it already have windows PX
> Ps2 in Crive
> D,E, and F frive contains some folders etc ,Can I installed Kbuntu 8.04 on
> F drive 40 Gb after formatting or deleting the folders etc.My PC rig is
> Intel E6550 ,2.33GHz, 1333FSB,4MB L2 Cache, Intel DG33FB motherboard ,2GB
> DDR2 RAm and 160 GB Sata HDD
> .Should after installing all the motherrboard Graphics and sound drivers
> will work.Please Guide me hhow to Properly install and Run Kubuntu 8.04 .
> Thanks
> Shanpav

It should install fine. Just be careful to select Manual Partitioning
and to select the proper partition.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Neil

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/4 Abhishek biswas <abhishek_biswas55@yahoo.com>:
>> Hello,
>> I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 32-bit on my PC,it already have windows PX
>> Ps2 in Crive
>> D,E, and F frive contains some folders etc ,Can I installed Kbuntu 8.04 on
>> F drive 40 Gb after formatting or deleting the folders etc.My PC rig is
>> Intel E6550 ,2.33GHz, 1333FSB,4MB L2 Cache, Intel DG33FB motherboard ,2GB
>> DDR2 RAm and 160 GB Sata HDD
>> .Should after installing all the motherrboard Graphics and sound drivers
>> will work.Please Guide me hhow to Properly install and Run Kubuntu 8.04 .
>> Thanks
>> Shanpav
>>

> It should install fine. Just be careful to select Manual Partitioning
> and to select the proper partition.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

I'd like to repeat the warning: Be carefull when installing: if you,
say, cleared the F disk and installed on the D disk, where you moved
al important data to, you'll lose them. Best to back the most
important data up to dvd's or an external disk (always usefull in case
of a harddiskcrash, but this is the time to make a backup).

If you are not sure you may even want to re move the disks you will
NOT be installing Ubuntu on.

How to detect te correct partition:
Write down the exact size and partition type of the partition to
install to from Windows. Best to change the type to fat32 if you are
using NTFS on the other disk, because that partition will stand out.

In the installer: Sda1 is the most probable partition for the C:/
drive of Windows, but the installer should be able to detect the
labels of the drives. However, you can not be absolutely sure. The
only way to be sure is to have a verified backup (check the files,
read them off the disk for the most important ones)

If you are unsure somewhere in the process you should ask before you
destroy your data.

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM
"ksh shrm"

If u don't wanna take risks of formatting and losing your data, then go for Wubi installation.

http://wubi-installer.org

For any assistance regarding Wubi, email us.

I did the same thing and guess what I am writing this email in Ubuntu 8.10.

It's cool man.

Don't go for formatting, it sucks. I have lost my data many times earlier while trying Linux.
Use Wubi, it's safe.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:54 AM, ksh shrm <akkuf117@gmail.com> wrote:
> If u don't wanna take risks of formatting and losing your data, then go for
> Wubi installation.
>
> http://wubi-installer.org
>
> For any assistance regarding Wubi, email us.
>
> I did the same thing and guess what I am writing this email in Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> It's cool man.
>
> Don't go for formatting, it sucks. I have lost my data many times earlier
> while trying Linux.
> Use Wubi, it's safe.

I installed Kubuntu 8.04 using Wubi. Wubi installs Ubuntu inside
Windows like an application. It creates a virtual hard drive
emulation layer which you can boot Ubuntu on when you start up your
computer. Instead of repartitioning your hard drive, the Wubi
partition is actually a file on your C drive. This isn't the same as
running Ubuntu in Parallels or VMware. Wubi isn't a full PC emulator,
in fact when you boot Ubuntu from the startup menu you see when you
start your computer Windows isn't running at all. Performance as
opposed to using a real partition is only slightly less, you likely
won't notice the difference, and its rather safe.

Best of all, if you need to reinstall Ubuntu you can remove it from
within Windows in the Add/Remove Programs window from the Control
Panel. The maximum size virtual drive Wubi can make is 30GB, but
that's way more than enough for Ubuntu.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com