Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
NoOp

Default Inability to type

On 11/03/2008 01:31 PM, Allen Meyers wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:55 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2008 11:40 AM, Allen Meyers wrote:
>> > On my Linux machine I have lost typing availability. Rebooted no
>> > change. It did allow me to type password, but that is not text Hope
>> > it is an easy fix I am in a panic.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Allen
>>
>> At the login screen, select 'Sessons' and click on "Failsafe Gnome' then
>> 'Change Session'. Enter your username & password & see if the keyboard
>> works in the Failsafe mode.
>
> * I did as you instructed and status is the same, but this additional
>
> information might help. The inability to type is obviously a KDE
>
> File concern as that is the only session this occurs in. I am in
>
> Ubuntu with a kubuntu desk top. Please advise from this new
>
> information or do I need to go to the KDE list not intended to
>
> cast any doubts on your KDE ability. [?][?]
>
> I sincerely appreciate your assistance.
>
> Allen
> *

Unfortunately I don't use KDE, so I can't much help you there. When you
change sessions do you have an option to select 'Gnome sesson'?

Also:

1. Please bottom post (place your comments after the other comments).
2. What were you doing when you lost the ability to type?
3. Did you also try booting using the recovery mode?
4. What type of keyboard? PS/2, USB, Wireless, Other.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
"Allen Meyers"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:25 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/03/2008 01:31 PM, Allen Meyers wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:55 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> On 11/03/2008 11:40 AM, Allen Meyers wrote:

>> > On my Linux machine I have lost typing availability. Rebooted no

>> > change. It did allow me to type password, but that is not text Hope

>> > it is an easy fix I am in a panic.

>> > Thanks

>> > Allen

>> At the login screen, select 'Sessons' and click on "Failsafe Gnome' then

>> 'Change Session'. Enter your username & password & see if the keyboard

>> works in the Failsafe mode.

> * *I did as you instructed and status is the same, but this additional

> * information might help. The inability to type is obviously a KDE

> * File concern as that is the only session this occurs in. I am in

> * Ubuntu with a kubuntu desk top. Please advise from this new

> * information or do I need to go to the KDE list not intended to

> * cast any doubts on your KDE ability. [?][?]

> * I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

> * Allen

> *

Unfortunately I don't use KDE, so I can't much help you there. When you

change sessions do you have an option to select 'Gnome sesson'?

Also:

1. Please bottom post (place your comments after the other comments).

2. What were you doing when you lost the ability to type?

3. Did you also try booting using the recovery mode?

4. What type of keyboard? PS/2, USB, Wireless, Other.
** This is a HP laptop dual boot XP and ububtu with the addition of the
* * the kubuntu desktop. I have tried all that was suggested and I appreciate

* * your efforts. I am at least fortunate enough to have gnome and will
* * confine my sessions to there until I am able to find a KDE fix. Falling
* * short of that I guess I can uninstall kubuntu or a more extreme measure

*** start over. I do like kubuntu.

**** Allen
*

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
NoOp

On 11/03/2008 03:45 PM, Allen Meyers wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:25 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[snip]
>> Unfortunately I don't use KDE, so I can't much help you there. When you
>> change sessions do you have an option to select 'Gnome sesson'?
>>
>> Also:
>>
>> 1. Please bottom post (place your comments after the other comments).
>> 2. What were you doing when you lost the ability to type?
>> 3. Did you also try booting using the recovery mode?
>> 4. What type of keyboard? PS/2, USB, Wireless, Other.
>

> This is a HP laptop dual boot XP and ububtu with the addition of the
> the kubuntu desktop. I have tried all that was suggested and I
> appreciate
> your efforts. I am at least fortunate enough to have gnome and will
> confine my sessions to there until I am able to find a KDE fix. Falling
> short of that I guess I can uninstall kubuntu or a more extreme measure
> start over. I do like kubuntu.
>
> Allen

Ah! So it works with Gnome, but not with the kubuntu/KDE desktop? If
that's correct, then I'm sure the list folks with KDE can step in and
help you troubleshoot the problem. Just to help them help you, please
answer #2.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > On 11/03/2008 01:31 PM, Allen Meyers wrote:

> availability. Rebooted no
> password, but that is not text Hope

> and click on "Failsafe Gnome' then
> & password & see if the keyboard
> > >
> > > * I did as you instructed and status is the
> same, but this additional
> > >
> > > information might help. The inability to type
> is obviously a KDE
> > >
> > > File concern as that is the only session this
> occurs in. I am in
> > >
> > > Ubuntu with a kubuntu desk top. Please advise
> from this new
> > >
> > > information or do I need to go to the KDE list
> not intended to
> > >
> > > cast any doubts on your KDE ability. [?][?]
> > >
> > > I sincerely appreciate your assistance.
> > >
> > > Allen
> > > *
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't use KDE, so I can't much
> help you there. When you
> > change sessions do you have an option to select
> 'Gnome sesson'?
> >
> > Also:
> >
> > 1. Please bottom post (place your comments after the
> other comments).
> > 2. What were you doing when you lost the ability to
> type?
> > 3. Did you also try booting using the recovery mode?
> > 4. What type of keyboard? PS/2, USB, Wireless, Other.
>

> This is a HP laptop dual boot XP and ububtu with the
> addition of the
> the kubuntu desktop. I have tried all that was
> suggested and I
> appreciate
> your efforts. I am at least fortunate enough to have
> gnome and will
> confine my sessions to there until I am able to find a
> KDE fix. Falling
> short of that I guess I can uninstall kubuntu or a more
> extreme measure
> start over. I do like kubuntu.
>
> Allen

Allen, you still are not giving useful info on your issue as I have mentioned to you off-list several times. What ubuntu version and what kde version? 64 or 32 bit? Also, you didn't answer the previous person's questions either but you did bottom post, that's good. If you help the list to help you you stand a better chance of getting a solution. I suspect that you haven't tried the things I sent you off-list in response to your off-list request as you hardly had time to read it. You just need to slow down, relax, and do some of the things I and others suggest and see what the outcome is. It does take some time to get a reply and sometimes you wont get one. People on the list would like to know what you were doing when, or immediately before, the issue came up and also what suggestions you have tried and the results. One may already have solved your problem if you tried it. So, please try what I and others have suggested and let us know what the
outcome was. As mentioned in the OP's questions, "What were you doing that caused the problem"? I know, I'm repeating myself but maybe you will tell us this time.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net