Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default (No subject header)

L WATSON wrote:

> I just did an upgrade online from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10.
>
> Upgrade did fine but when I reboot, after the login screen, all I get is an
> arrow cursor and
> black screen. It does not go to the desktop. Anyone else have this problem and
> if so
> is there someway to recover?

I had a similar issue only it was a brown desktop, no toolbars or
anything other than the mouse pointer.

I solved it by logging into the system via SSH, installing
xubuntu-desktop via apt-get, reboot from the command line; it restarted,
I changed my session to xubuntu, ran synaptic, and uninstalled all
compiz-related items completely.

Rebooted, changed my session back to gnome and it logged me in without
any special effects.

It appears to be a bug between an intel video chipset and compiz. This
particular machine can't have special desktop effects on it until they
fix it and push patches downstream.

That was my video problem, anyway...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Charlie Dorff wrote:
> Hi...
> I was thinking about purchasing an Eee PC. What is the best way of installing UBuntu on a computer this small. Should I use a CD like I do with my desktop PC. Also, which version of Ubuntu do I download? I have not bought my Eee PC yet so I am trying to get my questions answered before I buy it. Thank you.

Google for asus eee ubuntu. There's an Ubuntu distro made just for the
EEE PC and the project page should have info on how to install it.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Robert Parker

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Bart Silverstrim
<bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
> Charlie Dorff wrote:
>> Hi...
>> I was thinking about purchasing an Eee PC. What is the best way of installing UBuntu on a computer this small. Should I use a CD like I do with my desktop PC. Also, which version of Ubuntu do I download? I have not bought my Eee PC yet so I am trying to get my questions answered before I buy it. Thank you.
>
> Google for asus eee ubuntu. There's an Ubuntu distro made just for the
> EEE PC and the project page should have info on how to install it.

I have it on the 3e 701 and rather like it except:
1. Pidgin is a POS if you are on server with a large no of channels.
I've installed Xchat.
2. Brasero is fairly ordinary - hard to handle isos. Easy install
growisofs cos the libs are already there
3. Sound recording from microphone is hard (or impossible dunno yet) to set up.

Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!