Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Apparmor broken! How to fix?

Hi!

Something strange happened on one of my Ubuntu machines. Now, during
boot, I get messages about apparmor configuration files broken... and
once the machine is booted, I can't log into it.

If I enter an incorrect password, I get the normal behavior (long prompt
and / or error message).

If I enter a correct password, I get an immediate permission denied
(SSH) or GNOME starts and dies immediately.

So I am wondering whether to simply remove apparmor or dpkg-reconfigure
it...

Question is... what package should I remove or dpkg-reconfigure?

I can boot in recovery mode, at which point I'm logged in as root.

In recovery mode, as root, if I "passwd USER" I get a segmentation
fault. But if I su - user, it works...

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Gilles.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
NoOp

On 11/03/2008 08:04 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Something strange happened on one of my Ubuntu machines. Now, during
> boot, I get messages about apparmor configuration files broken... and
> once the machine is booted, I can't log into it.
>
> If I enter an incorrect password, I get the normal behavior (long prompt
> and / or error message).
>
> If I enter a correct password, I get an immediate permission denied
> (SSH) or GNOME starts and dies immediately.
>
> So I am wondering whether to simply remove apparmor or dpkg-reconfigure
> it...
>
> Question is... what package should I remove or dpkg-reconfigure?
>
> I can boot in recovery mode, at which point I'm logged in as root.
>
> In recovery mode, as root, if I "passwd USER" I get a segmentation
> fault. But if I su - user, it works...
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gilles.

I personally have apparmor uninstalled on this machine (with no ill
effect), but leave it on 2 others. When booting into recovery mode try
the option to fix packages (2nd or 3rd option if I recall). That will go
and do dkpkg --configure -a and try and fix the problem.

When you manage to su, try:

apt-get install -a
apt-get install --reinstall apparmor

These may help: