Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
bqz69

Default How to set gnome up, so it only obeys simple mouse click

How to set gnome up, so it only obeys simple mouse clicks for opening folders,
files and executeables etc.

I need to set gnome up, so there is no "mouse over" reaction.

I am used to kde 3.5, and try to use gnome, but each time I place the mouse
cursor anywhere, something happens, that is windows opens and closes so
quickly, that I cannot reach to respond - or a folder is created on the
desktop (when I try to click right mouse button).

I have tried to read the gnome help manual.

I am a completely newbie to gnome, and have no control over the mouse, and is
very confused.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
"Chris Rees"

2008/11/3 bqz69 <bqz69@telia.com>:
> How to set gnome up, so it only obeys simple mouse clicks for opening folders,
> files and executeables etc.
>
> I need to set gnome up, so there is no "mouse over" reaction.
>
> I am used to kde 3.5, and try to use gnome, but each time I place the mouse
> cursor anywhere, something happens, that is windows opens and closes so
> quickly, that I cannot reach to respond - or a folder is created on the
> desktop (when I try to click right mouse button).

Seriously, what does that mean?

Chris

--
R< $&h ! > $- ! $+ $@ $2 < @ $1 .UUCP. > (sendmail.cf)

Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 14:53 +0100, bqz69 wrote:
> each time I place the mouse cursor anywhere, something happens, that
> is windows opens and closes so quickly, that I cannot reach to respond
> - or a folder is created on the desktop (when I try to click right
> mouse button).

Do you use an actual mouse or a touchpad? I'm asking because it sounds
like a too-sensitive touchpad with "tap to click" enabled. If you indeed
use a touchpad, do the following:

* Alt+F2. This brings up the run dialog
* Type "gnome-mouse-properties" (w/o the quotes). It will autocomplete
* Then press Enter. The mouse properties window will appear
* Press Arrow-right twice to move to the tab "Touchpad"
* Press Tab twice. This moves the selection to "Enable mouse clicks ..."
* Press Enter to toggle the setting to "off"

Good now?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
NoOp

On 11/03/2008 05:53 AM, bqz69 wrote:
> How to set gnome up, so it only obeys simple mouse clicks for opening folders,
> files and executeables etc.
>
> I need to set gnome up, so there is no "mouse over" reaction.
>
> I am used to kde 3.5, and try to use gnome, but each time I place the mouse
> cursor anywhere, something happens, that is windows opens and closes so
> quickly, that I cannot reach to respond - or a folder is created on the
> desktop (when I try to click right mouse button).
>
> I have tried to read the gnome help manual.
>
> I am a completely newbie to gnome, and have no control over the mouse, and is
> very confused.

My guess is that you have 'mouse over' set. Check:
System|Preferences|Windows|Windows Selection|uncheck "Select windows
when the mouse..."

Old 11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
user

On Monday 03 November 2008 20.01.50 Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 14:53 +0100, bqz69 wrote:
> > each time I place the mouse cursor anywhere, something happens, that
> > is windows opens and closes so quickly, that I cannot reach to respond
> > - or a folder is created on the desktop (when I try to click right
> > mouse button).
>
> Do you use an actual mouse or a touchpad? I'm asking because it sounds
> like a too-sensitive touchpad with "tap to click" enabled. If you indeed
> use a touchpad, do the following:
>
> * Alt+F2. This brings up the run dialog
> * Type "gnome-mouse-properties" (w/o the quotes). It will autocomplete
> * Then press Enter. The mouse properties window will appear
> * Press Arrow-right twice to move to the tab "Touchpad"
> * Press Tab twice. This moves the selection to "Enable mouse clicks ..."
> * Press Enter to toggle the setting to "off"
>
> Good now?

I am using an actual mouse.

The problem was that I had activated the "Assistive Technologie", in
my "fight" to learn to use gnome "in 10 minutes" humour.

So now it works okay, and I continue my "fight" - Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 21:18 +0100, user wrote:
> The problem was that I had activated the "Assistive Technologie", in
> my "fight" to learn to use gnome "in 10 minutes" humour.

I can see how that could be annoying