Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default VGA out at wrong resolution, was working yesterday

On a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the ATI video card and Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE
3.5.10) the VGA output was working fine until a reboot today. I did
update the system via apt-get yesterday, so that may have affected
something. This is my xorg.conf file (minus comments at the top):
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen"
Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

The file is completely stock with the exception of Option
"MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP" which I added to enable VGA-out when I first
got the external monitor. Until today it had successfully output
1680x1050 (which is the native resolution of both the laptop's screen
and the external monitor) but now I am getting 1680x1050 on the
laptop's screen, yet 1440x900 at the VGA-out (both at the same time).
The VGA-out screen pans with the mouse to account for the differences
in resolution (not the entire desktop is visible at any given moment).

Note: this message was accidentally posted to ubuntu-devel by
accident. Please excuse the cross post.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com