Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
"Allen Meyers"

Default Burning Live CD

In an effort to make burning a live CD a reality going to give this one more shot.
1. It does not recognize that there is a blank CD inserted
2. It will play both a music CD as well as a data (computer based learning CD)

In desperation I went to live chat on HP support and was fortunate
enough to get someone who understood English and was not outsourced to
India.
What follows good bad or indifferent is what he outlined I do and what I did (It still does not recognize blank media.

This exchange I am about to relate obviously will only be understood by
the really experienced user.* I suredo not understand what I did. I do know it helped absolutely nothing
cannot afford a new PC, but would it help to purchase an external
device as I do insist on being able to burn live CD or my fun in Linux
will come to an end.

I reset BIOS, reinstall cd/dvd drivers for checking the
issue.
All that was really done here was the assurance that yes was highlighted to assure I was back to my default BIOS settings.Went to run typed in

devmgmt.msc

Right click on
CD/DVD drive icon listed under "CD-Rom/DVD-Rom" and select
"Un-install".Once the device is un-installed it may
prompt you to restart the notebook PC but I recomment not to restart
the notebook PC and continue performing the below steps:

Start Registry Editor Click
Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor
starts.* Delete the Upper Filters registry entry

1. In
Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand
Current Control Set.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4.
Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In
the right pane (topic area), click Upper Filters.
Note An
Upper Filters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
UpperFilters registry entry, you must click Upper Filters and not
Upper Filters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you
receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of
the Upper* Filters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete
this value?

The Upper Filters
registry entry is removed from the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
Note Do
not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next
step.
Step 3: Delete the Lower Filters registry entry
1. In
Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand
Current ControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4.
Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In
the right pane (topic area), click Lower Filters.
Note An
LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not
Lower Filters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When
you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion
of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to
delete this value?
The Lower Filters registry entry is removed from
the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8.
Exit Registry Editor.
Step 4: Restart the computer

--
Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 06:45:30 -0700
"Allen Meyers" <texas.chef94@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> next step.
> Step 3: Delete the Lower Filters registry entry
> 1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
> 2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand Current ControlSet.
> 3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
> 4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
> 5. In the right pane (topic area), click Lower Filters.
> Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
> LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not Lower
> Filters.bak.
> 6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
> 7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the
> deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
> Are you sure you want to delete this value?
> The Lower Filters registry entry is removed from the
> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

So you are burning the cd in Windows, right.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
"Allen Meyers"

No my focus is to repair my CD ROM capability. The exchange between HP and myself did occur in windows, but only because naturally he knew nothing about Linux.
I In Linux I have tried everything and CD ROM does not recognize blank media in either OS

Any help appreciated

> [...]

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

> 2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand Current ControlSet.

> 3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.

> 4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

> 5. In the right pane (topic area), click Lower Filters.

> Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the

> LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not Lower

> Filters.bak.

> 6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

> 7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the

> deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:

> Are you sure you want to delete this value?

> The Lower Filters registry entry is removed from the

> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

> 8. Exit Registry Editor.

> Step 4: Restart the computer

So you are burning the cd in Windows, right.

Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 07:03:11 -0700
"Allen Meyers" <texas.chef94@gmail.com> wrote:

> No my focus is to repair my CD ROM capability. The exchange between
> HP and myself did occur in windows, but only because naturally he
> knew nothing about Linux.
> I In Linux I have tried everything and CD ROM does not recognize
> blank media in either OS
> Any help appreciated
>
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:50 AM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 06:45:30 -0700
> > "Allen Meyers" <texas.chef94@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In an effort to make burning a live CD a reality going to give
> > > this one more shot.
> > > 1. It does not recognize that there is a blank CD inserted
> > > 2. It will play both a music CD as well as a data (computer based
> > > learning CD)
> > > In desperation I went to live chat on HP support and was fortunate
> > > enough to get someone who understood English and was not
> > > outsourced to India. What follows good bad or indifferent is what
> > > he outlined I do and what I did (It still does not recognize
> > > blank media. This exchange I am about to relate obviously will
> > > only be understood by the really experienced user. I suredo not
> > > understand what I did.* I do know it helped absolutely nothing*
> > > *I cannot afford a new PC, but would it help to purchase an
> > > external device as I do insist on being able to burn live CD or
> > > my fun in Linux will come to an end.*
> > > I reset BIOS, reinstall cd/dvd drivers for checking the issue. All
> > > that was really done here was the assurance that yes was
> > > highlighted to assure I was back to my default BIOS settings.
<snip>

Okay, seriously then, this is a cd-rw or dvd-rw, right.

If it is a combo cd/dvd burner, have you tried both cd-r and dvd-r
media?

I have one system here that never gives the message that I have
inserted blank media, but if I right-click on an .iso file, it has
¨burn image¨ as an option and works. To burn an audio or data cd, I
have to start with Brassero (using Xubuntu) and it will then recognize
it is blank media. The CD Creator window never exists on that system.

I also had this with a cd/dvd combo burner that lost the burner side.
It plays great, but quit burning about 2 years ago.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Allen Meyers wrote:
> No my focus is to repair my CD ROM capability. The exchange between HP
> and myself did occur in windows, but only because naturally he knew
> nothing about Linux.
> I In Linux I have tried everything and CD ROM does not recognize blank
> media in either OS
> Any help appreciated

ok, you CD burner seems to be playing CDs but apparently it does not
recognize balnk media for burning.
Is this correct?

If so, is this REALLY a CD BURNER (no joke, I had a customer complain
that he could not burn ;-)?

If yes, the only solution I can think of is to try with a different type
of blank CD R/RWs.

Lastly, if all of this fails, I would suggest to try with CDburner XP (
http://cdburnerxp.se/). It probably will not solve the problem, but it's
free and worth a try.
Ultimately, a new internal burner (they tend to be cheaper that external
models) will probably, what you will need.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Allen Meyers wrote:
>> No my focus is to repair my CD ROM capability. The exchange between HP
>> and myself did occur in windows, but only because naturally he knew
>> nothing about Linux.
>> I In Linux I have tried everything and CD ROM does not recognize blank
>> media in either OS
>> Any help appreciated
>>
> ok, you CD burner seems to be playing CDs but apparently it does not
> recognize balnk media for burning.
> Is this correct?
>
> If so, is this REALLY a CD BURNER (no joke, I had a customer complain
> that he could not burn ;-)?
>
> If yes, the only solution I can think of is to try with a different type
> of blank CD R/RWs.
>
> Lastly, if all of this fails, I would suggest to try with CDburner XP (
> http://cdburnerxp.se/). It probably will not solve the problem, but it's
> free and worth a try.
> Ultimately, a new internal burner (they tend to be cheaper that external
> models) will probably, what you will need.

It's also very possible you have a failure in the laser. I had an Apple
DVD-R in a MacBook that could read regular CD's but DVD's couldn't be
read anymore; nothing popped up saying it was malfunctioning, insisted
it could read/write DVD media, but simply spit out the discs when I
inserted them.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
"Allen Meyers"

Being a newbie is no excuse for this oversight if that is what this is all about.
I used the only bland media I had at hand (dumb) it was DVD+RW
So if I am understanding* correctly I should be using an R not an RW and not DVD.

After I hear back I will truck on down the road to wal-mart and get a better burning media.

Thanks

Allen

Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Allen Meyers wrote:
> Being a newbie is no excuse for this oversight if that is what this is all
> about.

Good illustration of why top posting is frowned upon by many...what are
you referring to as an oversight?

> I used the only bland media I had at hand (dumb) it was DVD+RW
> So if I am understanding correctly I should be using an R not an RW and not
> DVD.
> After I hear back I will truck on down the road to wal-mart and get a better
> burning media.

You're saying your DVD drive may be DVD-R not DVD-RW? Yeah, it may have
problems in that case :-)

A program like HardInfo installed via synaptic might give you
information on the drive or a model that you can google and find the
full compatibility of discs. Remember that some drives, if they're
DVD-R, may not read DVD+R's or vice-versa.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Rashkae

Allen Meyers wrote:
> Being a newbie is no excuse for this oversight if that is what this is all
> about.
> I used the only bland media I had at hand (dumb) it was DVD+RW
> So if I am understanding correctly I should be using an R not an RW and not
> DVD.
> After I hear back I will truck on down the road to wal-mart and get a better
> burning media.

Just get a new DVD burner already. < $50 and can burn juts about any
media you find (not including Blu-R)

Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Nils Kassube

Allen Meyers wrote:
> I used the only bland media I had at hand (dumb) it was DVD+RW
> So if I am understanding correctly I should be using an R not an RW
> and not DVD.

You can burn an iso file which is meant to be used with a CD to a DVD but
you have to tell the burner program you want to burn to DVD - at least if
you want to burn it with K3B. And it should not matter if you use R or RW
media - I use both. And in your case of a DVD+RW medium your burner must
support DVD+RW but probably you would not have bought that type if your
burner doesn't support the medium.

Nils