Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Cheri Lindsey

Default CodeWeaver Crossover Linux

Anyone use CodeWeaver's Crossover Linux to run Windows programs in Ubuntu?
Cheri

*--

Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Cheri Lindsey wrote:
> Anyone use CodeWeaver's Crossover Linux to run Windows programs in Ubuntu?
> Cheri
I do! Runs fine! On a Toshiba Tecra M2, it actually runs World of
Warcraft faster than in Windows XP on same hardware!

Gilles.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Cheri Lindsey

Thanks.* I tried Wine but some things run and some don't.* I'm hoping the CodeWeavers
program works with more programs so I can get rid of Windows completely.........Cheri

Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Gilles Gravier

Title: Signature Home Chastity

You can download it and try it before purchasing it... So definitely
worth a try. But not all Windows apps work.

TomTom Home 1.0 does (requires some tweaking)

TomTom Home 2.0 doesn't

You can always run Windows inside VirtualBox for those incompatible
apps.

Gilles.

Cheri Lindsey wrote:

Thanks.* I tried Wine but some things run and some don't.* I'm
hoping the CodeWeavers
program works with more programs so I can get rid of Windows
completely.........Cheri

From:
Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org>

technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

Sent: Monday, November
3, 2008 7:46:35 AM

Subject: Re:

Cheri Lindsey wrote:

> Anyone use CodeWeaver's Crossover Linux to run Windows programs in
Ubuntu?

> Cheri

I do! Runs fine! On a Toshiba Tecra M2, it actually runs World of

Warcraft faster than in Windows XP on same hardware!

Gilles.

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it
does include a free trip around the sun."

Old 11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Ed Jabbour

On Monday 03 November 2008 09:37:05 Gilles Gravier wrote:

> You can always run Windows inside VirtualBox for those incompatible apps.
>

> Cheri Lindsey wrote:
> > Thanks. I tried Wine but some things run and some don't. I'm hoping
> > the CodeWeavers
> > program works with more programs so I can get rid of Windows
> > completely.........Cheri

Will a "restore" disk, rather than a true OS, install Vista inside VirtualBox?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Joel Goguen

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 13:02 -0500, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> On Monday 03 November 2008 09:37:05 Gilles Gravier wrote:
>
> > You can always run Windows inside VirtualBox for those incompatible apps.
> >

> > Cheri Lindsey wrote:
> > > Thanks. I tried Wine but some things run and some don't. I'm hoping
> > > the CodeWeavers
> > > program works with more programs so I can get rid of Windows
> > > completely.........Cheri
>
> Will a "restore" disk, rather than a true OS, install Vista inside VirtualBox?

Depends. Some restore discs check that they're on the right type of
hardware. Some (I believe Dell's discs are like this) don't care and
will happily install on whatever they're put into. My HP discs won't
even install on another model, but I restored a friend's Compaq from
someone's Dell discs.

--
Joel Goguen
Bug-free code is a myth.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 06:29 -0800, Cheri Lindsey wrote:
> Thanks. I tried Wine but some things run and some don't. I'm hoping
> the CodeWeavers program works with more programs so I can get rid of
> Windows completely.

Hoping is good, checking is better
http://appdb.winehq.org/
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Cheri Lindsey

It calls for either a physical OS disk or the .iso of a disk...........Cheri

Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Cheri Lindsey

Thanks for the links.* I did look in their database but couldn't find anything
about Lightscribe disk labeling.* That's one of the things that won't work
with Wine........Cheri

Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Cheri Lindsey wrote:
> It calls for either a physical OS disk or the .iso of a disk...........Cheri

A restore disc is still usually a physical OS disc or can be made into
an .iso :-)

The answer depends on where the restore disc came from, whether it
checks the hardware before installing.