Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
"ksh shrm"

Default Problem with Running Ubuntu on Old Machine

Hey,
I tried running Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD which I got with my Digit Magazine.
But it sucked.
It was never able to get booted.
My System conf is
p 4 2.4GHz
256 MB DDR 333Mhz RAM

I guess, Ubuntu shud identify my system resources first and then boot accordingly like the Dynebolic, but it didn't booted.

I know my system is old but is there any way to taste Ubuntu. I know it's cool since they removed a lot geeky things at startup and made UI easy.

ANyone* Help please.

--
adios

KSH SHRM

People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care...

Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Your problem is the low amount of RAM. You shouldn't use the Live DVD.
It expects a lot more RAM available.

Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the "Alternate CD" from
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

In particular, since you have an i386, download
ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso from one of the mirrors at :
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors

Gilles

Old 11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:03:36 +0530
"ksh shrm" <akkuf117@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> I tried running Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD which I got with my Digit
> Magazine. But it sucked.
> It was never able to get booted.
> My System conf is
> p 4 2.4GHz
> 256 MB DDR 333Mhz RAM
>
> I guess, Ubuntu shud identify my system resources first and then boot
> accordingly like the Dynebolic, but it didn't booted.
>
> I know my system is old but is there any way to taste Ubuntu. I know
> it's cool since they removed a lot geeky things at startup and made
> UI easy.
>
> ANyone Help please.

Download Xubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 or Intrepid 8.10, which needs less ram. I
have installed both on my PII, 400 Mhz, 256Mhz Ram.

They run slow, but usable. Intrepid, expect to use webbrowser + another
program at the same time.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:03:36 +0530
"ksh shrm" <akkuf117@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> I tried running Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD which I got with my Digit
> Magazine. But it sucked.
> It was never able to get booted.
> My System conf is
> p 4 2.4GHz
> 256 MB DDR 333Mhz RAM
>
> I guess, Ubuntu shud identify my system resources first and then boot
> accordingly like the Dynebolic, but it didn't booted.
>
> I know my system is old but is there any way to taste Ubuntu. I know
> it's cool since they removed a lot geeky things at startup and made
> UI easy.
>
> ANyone Help please.

Forgot the link:
http://xubuntu.org/get

As a side note, I never did the 7.04 live cd to run on that system.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Eberhard Roloff

ksh shrm wrote:
> Hey,
> I tried running Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD which I got with my Digit Magazine.
> But it sucked.
> It was never able to get booted.
> My System conf is
> p 4 2.4GHz
> 256 MB DDR 333Mhz RAM
>
> I guess, Ubuntu shud identify my system resources first and then boot
> accordingly like the Dynebolic, but it didn't booted.
>
> I know my system is old but is there any way to taste Ubuntu. I know
> it's cool since they removed a lot geeky things at startup and made UI easy.
>
> ANyone Help please.
>

> --
> adios
>
> KSH SHRM
>
> People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care...

Your machine is absolutely ok for anything Linux related.
The only problem: Your RAM is not sufficient to have fun with it. I.e.
RAM (or better lack of it) is what currently strangles your machine and
prevents it from offering you the potential that is has.

Go out and buy a RAM upgrade. 512 MB is the absolute minimum, 1 GB is ok
and more will be (nearly) a dream come true.

Imho, on a machine like this, more than 2 GB rarely make sense.

Kind regards
Eberhard
Kubuntu P4/2.4/1.5GB

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM
NoOp

On 11/03/2008 05:33 AM, ksh shrm wrote:
> Hey,
> I tried running Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD which I got with my Digit Magazine.
> But it sucked.
> It was never able to get booted.
> My System conf is
> p 4 2.4GHz
> 256 MB DDR 333Mhz RAM
>
> I guess, Ubuntu shud identify my system resources first and then boot
> accordingly like the Dynebolic, but it didn't booted.
>
> I know my system is old but is there any way to taste Ubuntu. I know it's
> cool since they removed a lot geeky things at startup and made UI easy.
>
> ANyone Help please.

Good advise from others & yes, you can run Ubuntu on that machine, but
it will be slow; take the advise to install at least 512MB & you'll be
quite happy with the results. You will need 384MB to run the most recent
liveCD's, but you can easily install with as little as 128MB using the
Alternate CD.

As far as the 7.04 DVD; use it as a coaster. 7.04 is no longer
supported, see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

BTW: I actually have a machine that is 350Mhz/128MB that runs Ubuntu.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
"ksh shrm"

Thank GOD I finally tasted Ubuntu 8.10

It seems cool but there are some problems.

1. there is no available resolution other than 640x480 in screen resolution.
2. Can anybody tell me what is default root password?

3. How to use Ralink tech RT73 USB Wi Fi Adapter?

Need help!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
"ksh shrm"

It's really cool.

There is no need to install anything.

The resolution problem got solved by changing shared memory.

Wi Fi is working too.

All problems solved, I think, I should move to open source now.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:33:11 -0800
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 11/03/2008 05:33 AM, ksh shrm wrote:
> > Hey,
> > I tried running Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD which I got with my Digit
> > Magazine. But it sucked.
> > It was never able to get booted.
> > My System conf is
> > p 4 2.4GHz
> > 256 MB DDR 333Mhz RAM
> >
> > I guess, Ubuntu shud identify my system resources first and then
> > boot accordingly like the Dynebolic, but it didn't booted.
> >
> > I know my system is old but is there any way to taste Ubuntu. I
> > know it's cool since they removed a lot geeky things at startup and
> > made UI easy.
> >
> > ANyone Help please.
>
> Good advise from others & yes, you can run Ubuntu on that machine, but
> it will be slow; take the advise to install at least 512MB & you'll be
> quite happy with the results. You will need 384MB to run the most
> recent liveCD's, but you can easily install with as little as 128MB
> using the Alternate CD.
>
> As far as the 7.04 DVD; use it as a coaster. 7.04 is no longer
> supported, see:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
> BTW: I actually have a machine that is 350Mhz/128MB that runs Ubuntu.

Live CD now runs in 256MB using Intrepid. First paragraph of release
notes. If Ubuntu does not, I know Xubuntu will run a live cd with 160MB
Ram, I did it using the final release.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 01:51 +0530, ksh shrm wrote:
> Thank GOD I finally tasted Ubuntu 8.10

Welcome

> 1. there is no available resolution other than 640x480 in screen
> resolution.

I see from the other reply that you fixed this yourself

Ubuntu uses none. Please read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

> 3. How to use Ralink tech RT73 USB Wi Fi Adapter?

Your adapter should work out of the box since Ubuntu 7.10 from a year
ago, according to the support page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT73
You shouldn't need any of this.

Wifi should work pretty automatically. You should have a network icon at
the right of the top panel (next to the clock and loudspeaker icon).
Rightclick it to see options, leftclick it to choose the connection.

If