-   -   apt-cacher - slow response (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/186836-apt-cacher-slow-response.html)

Luke Militello 11-03-2008 11:28 AM

apt-cacher - slow response

After searching the forums and coming up empty handed, I'm hoping
someone here can help me out. I recently installed apt-cacher and
although it seems to be working just find, it takes anywhere from 30
seconds to 1 minute 20 seconds for apt-get to run its update with the
sources.list directed to my cacher. I only have 11 repositories in
there (deb & deb-src). What confuses me is if I point the sources
directly to the actual repositories, the update takes 15 seconds max.
It perplexes me that the cacher is slower in response then the actual
repositories. And all this occurs with no updates to commit after I run
an upgrade. I know the cacher works because I got a kernel
update/upgrade through it once just fine. Can anyone aid me in speeding
up my apt-cacher? I will provide any info needed.

Thanks,
-Luke

Luke Militello 11-04-2008 05:49 AM

apt-cacher - slow response

Well, I ended up just giving up and removed it. Turns out this thing
wasn't doing anything like it was supposed to after all. I pointed my
servers back to the archive repos and had slue of updates waiting. This
thing did nothing but waste my time. I'd advise others to look
elsewhere for a caching / proxy solution.

CLIFFORD ILKAY 11-04-2008 05:56 PM

apt-cacher - slow response

Luke Militello wrote:
> After searching the forums and coming up empty handed, I'm hoping
> someone here can help me out. I recently installed apt-cacher and
> although it seems to be working just find, it takes anywhere from 30
> seconds to 1 minute 20 seconds for apt-get to run its update with the
> sources.list directed to my cacher. I only have 11 repositories in
> there (deb & deb-src). What confuses me is if I point the sources
> directly to the actual repositories, the update takes 15 seconds max.
> It perplexes me that the cacher is slower in response then the actual
> repositories. And all this occurs with no updates to commit after I run
> an upgrade. I know the cacher works because I got a kernel
> update/upgrade through it once just fine. Can anyone aid me in speeding
> up my apt-cacher? I will provide any info needed.

I've been using apt-cacher with Hardy for about a month. The only time
that it's slow doing an update is when the upstream repository is slow.
I had to set the "path_map" in /etc/apt-cacher/apt-cacher.conf to make
it work. apt-cacher has saved a lot of time and bandwidth for me.
apt-proxy was broken and didn't work.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.