Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Michele

Default Intrepid: reset networking

Hello,

Because of some problems with the WLAN, a while ago I removed network manager and replaced it with wicd. This weekend I upgraded to Intrepid and the networking is all screwed up.
At startup the laptop was trying to obtain an address both for the ethernet card and for the WLAN making the boot up hang for 4 or 5 minutes. I have since solved this problem by modifying the /etc/network/interfaces file, but I don't know if doing that I caused another one...

Once logged in, I could connect to the wired network but the WLAN still refused to work.
I then made things worse trying to fix the problem by:
1. uninstalling wicd
2. installing gnome-network-manager
3. installing and adding to my session the nm-applet (still does not show in the panel but that could be due to a different issue)

Now the system is a mess: I don't know if I should use
System > Administration > Network
or
System > Preferences > Network configuration
or
open the nm-applet from a terminal and configure the WLAN from there (as I said it does not show in the panel)

What I would like to do is to "reset" my networking configuration to the default intrepid configuration, this is because on an external hard disk which I used to test intrepid alpha everything works great, so I want the same on my internal hard disk without having to perform a fresh install.

Cheers,

Michele