Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Paul Kaplan

Default sound problem in 8.10

I did a new install of 8.10 onto a machine that previously had 8.04 (not an
upgrade). I left the /home directory untouched, although I did delete ~/.kde
and ~/.kde4 prior to the install.

The primary user (the one added during installation now has sound, but another
user on the system does not. That user previously did have sound.

Any ideas what's happening or how to fix?
Paul

Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Darius

I think that user must have *pulse* group, check it.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:

> The primary user (the one added during installation now has sound, but another
> user on the system does not. That user previously did have sound.

I get sound from nearly all applications except for amarok neon. I
sent an email to the amarok-neon developers list, but have not
received any response.

Anyone else using intrepid and trying the amarok neon daily builds?
"Regular" Amarok works fine for playing files and other applications
don't have a trouble playing. Amarok-neon makes it look like it's
playing, but no sound comes out through the speaker.

Mostly (pretty much always) I've gotten failures when trying to
connect to pulseaudio, but then the application (for instance gxine or
mplayer) automatically falls back to another method for playback. I
saw no options to configure this in amarok-neon. pulseaudio seems to
work, but only in gnome that I can tell, and I'm using KDE 4.1.2 at
present.

I'm not in the pulseaudio group, never added myself. Now I guess I
should. But looging out and logging back in konsole does not show me
to be a member of that group. As I recall, I had similar difficulty
getting added to the vboxusers group to run Virtual Box. Had to log in
and log out a few times, and may even have had to reboot to make the
change visible.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Paul Kaplan

There's no such group on my system. Also I verified that all users are members
of the same groups.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
> There's no such group on my system. Also I verified that all users are members
> of the same groups.

There's a pulse group, maybe that's it.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:34 PM

No.* There's no pulse group on my system; does it have another name or is it somehow hidden from the user admininistration dialog?* There's an audio group.* No user is a member, but remember that the user created during installation has working sound.
Paul

Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
> No. There's no pulse group on my system; does it have another name or is it
> somehow hidden from the user admininistration dialog? There's an audio

Hmm. I see it

dfox@newbox:/etc$ grep pulse /etc/group
audio:x:29ulse,dfox
pulse:x:116:dfox
pulse-access:x:117:dfox
pulse-rt:x:118:dfox

Old 11-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Nigel Henry

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 19:34, pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> No. There's no pulse group on my system; does it have another name or is it
> somehow hidden from the user admininistration dialog? There's an audio
> group. No user is a member, but remember that the user created during
> installation has working sound. Paul

What you say above doesn't make sense on a Debian based install. You say there
is an audio group, but no user is a member of it. I think the first thing I'd
do is to add your users to the audio group in /etc/group. users are comma
separated as below.
audio:x:29:groucho,chico,harpo

Nigel.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Paul Kaplan

It's true, no one was a member of the audio group. In any case, adding
everyone to that group seems to have solved the problem.
Thanks,