Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Knapp

Default Is there text-to-speech and speech recognition for Ubuntu 8.10?

> I believe the problem comes from the fact that these programs can't get
> exclusive access to the sound device. At least that's what happens on my
> computer. When playing music with Amarok or something and trying to run
> any of these I get an error that resembles that.
>
> Catalin

Yes, I think you are right. How can we fix it? Can we make these
programs use alsa somehow?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 09:17 +0100 schrieb Knapp:
> > I believe the problem comes from the fact that these programs can't get
> > exclusive access to the sound device. At least that's what happens on my
> > computer. When playing music with Amarok or something and trying to run
> > any of these I get an error that resembles that.
> >
> > Catalin
>
> Yes, I think you are right. How can we fix it? Can we make these
> programs use alsa somehow?

You might try to run it with padsp as a wrapper to make it use
PulseAudio.

[x] ulf
--
Nie in die ferne Zeit verliere dich! Den Augenblick ergreife! Der ist dein.
(Schiller)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 11:14 +0100 schrieb Ulf Rompe:
> You might try to run it with padsp as a wrapper to make it use
> PulseAudio.

...while the package alsa-oss contains a similar wrapper for plain Alsa
called aoss.

[x] ulf
--
STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Knapp

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Ulf Rompe <Ulf.Rompe@icem.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 11:14 +0100 schrieb Ulf Rompe:
>> You might try to run it with padsp as a wrapper to make it use
>> PulseAudio.
>
> ...while the package alsa-oss contains a similar wrapper for plain Alsa
> called aoss.
>
> [x] ulf
> --

How do you do that?
Thanks,
--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 12:38, Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Ulf Rompe <Ulf.Rompe@icem.com> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 11:14 +0100 schrieb Ulf Rompe:
> >> You might try to run it with padsp as a wrapper to make it use
> >> PulseAudio.
> >
> > ...while the package alsa-oss contains a similar wrapper for plain Alsa
> > called aoss.
> >
> > [x] ulf
> > --
>
> How do you do that?
> Thanks,
> --
> Douglas E Knapp

Hi Doug. I use aoss on one of my installs where I listen to Internet radio
with Opera. The desktop launcher starts Opera with aoss opera, and I'm now
listening to Internet radio. If I also want to listen to some music, which
may be said isn't easy while listening to the radio, I start Mhwaveedit, open
a file, and both play at the same time.

I've just tried this on GG 7.10. I've started playing a music file with
Mhwaveedit, then on the CLI typed aoss espeak "Hello, Hows it going"

And someones asked me how it's going.

This is on a machine with an hda intel card. A card not capable of running
multiple audio streams, but aoss works around the problem.

Nigel.