Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 AM
Mark

Default PDF viewer for Evolution?

Hi everyone:

I am using a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop using ubuntu 8.04. I want to know is if there is a pdf viewer for evolution. When I have an email that comes in that is a pdf I'd like to be able to view preview it without having to open it completely. Thank you.

Mark

Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 00:28 -0500, Mark wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am using a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop using ubuntu 8.04. I want to
> know is if there is a pdf viewer for evolution. When I have an email
> that comes in that is a pdf I'd like to be able to view preview it
> without having to open it completely. Thank you.
>
> Mark

I don't think that Evolution, the default mail client, can let you
preview PDFs, regardless of viewer.

As for you question about "it there a viewer", yes there are:
* Evince, the default PDF viewer in Gnome, I don't think it can be
used to view PDFs inline in email or browser
* Adobe Reader can be installed from the Medibuntu repository [1].
It can work as a plugin in Firefox (if you install the plugin
part), but AFAICT not in Evolution

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Bo Grimes

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 08:10:46AM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 00:28 -0500, Mark wrote:
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I am using a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop using ubuntu 8.04. I want to
> > know is if there is a pdf viewer for evolution. When I have an email
> > that comes in that is a pdf I'd like to be able to view preview it
> > without having to open it completely. Thank you.
> >
> > Mark
>
> I don't think that Evolution, the default mail client, can let you
> preview PDFs, regardless of viewer.

Well, I haven't used Evolution in a while, and I don't even have it
installed, but I seem to recall reading something once about being able to
do it. Something like you set the application/pdf to "use viewer" and
treat it like postscript and use gv as the viewer.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
NoOp

On 11/02/2008 09:28 PM, Mark wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am using a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop using ubuntu 8.04. I want to know
> is if there is a pdf viewer for evolution. When I have an email that
> comes in that is a pdf I'd like to be able to view preview it without
> having to open it completely. Thank you.
>
> Mark

As others have mentioned, currently there is no way to preview a PDF in
Evolution. You'll need to click on the attachment and use a viewer that
appears in the dropdown (currently Evince is the default - and is shown
as "Open in Document Viewer".

You may also find this helpful:
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ

Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Mark

Hi NoOp:

Thank you for the link. Although it didn't contain the answer I was looking for, it did provide me some very helpful general info on Evolution. Thanks again!

Mark