Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Mark

Default Can't play DVD's

Hi everyone:

I am a brand new newbie to this mailing list and am excited about Ubuntu. I tried watching a dvd but each time I try, I receive the error message "could not read from resource". Anyone have a clue why I can't read from the resource? It is not a burned copy of a dvd, it is the original dvd.

I am running a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Mark

Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 AM
NoOp

On 11/02/2008 05:12 PM, Mark wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am a brand new newbie to this mailing list and am excited about
> Ubuntu. I tried watching a dvd but each time I try, I receive the error
> message "could not read from resource". Anyone have a clue why I can't
> read from the resource? It is not a burned copy of a dvd, it is the
> original dvd.
>
> I am running a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. Hope this
> helps. Thanks.
>
> Mark

Please have a look at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
and let us know if that solves your problem or still need further help.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Mark

Thank you very much for your help. I followed the instructions. It does play, but* the language is in French instead of English. I click on the sound menu and it is currently set to English, but everything is still in French. Is there a way to make it so that I can hear my DVD in English??? Thanks.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 AM
"NALIN SHARMA"

you only update music player in ubuntu 8.04

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 20:12 -0500, Mark wrote:
> I am a brand new newbie to this mailing list and am excited about
> Ubuntu. I tried watching a dvd but each time I try, I receive the
> error message "could not read from resource". Anyone have a clue why I
> can't read from the resource? It is not a burned copy of a dvd, it is
> the original dvd.

Are you talking about a commercial, encrypted movie CD? See here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 23:15 -0500, Mark wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help. I followed the instructions. It
> does play, but the language is in French instead of English. I click
> on the sound menu and it is currently set to English, but everything
> is still in French. Is there a way to make it so that I can hear my
> DVD in English??? Thanks.

Which player do you use? There should be an "audio" menu somewhere to
switch languages. Also, doesn't the DVD menu itself let you choose tuos?
I've never seen a DVD without one.
Most players let you set a default, IIRC

Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 08:04 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> choose tuos?

"choose this"