Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Mark

Default Can't watch tv shows from television network websites.

Hello everyone:

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 and when I go to websites such as tnt.tv or to twtv.com to watch tv shows I can't watch them due to the following error message:

We're sorry, but only the following operating systems are supported at this time:

Microsoft Windows XP/Vista

(i386) Apple Macintosh OS X or later

(PPC) Apple Macintosh OS X or later

Please check back soon for support for other operating systems.

Is there a way to get around this? Thanks.

Mark

Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 AM
"Chris Mohler"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Mark <markfpyles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 and when I go to
> websites such as tnt.tv or to twtv.com to watch tv shows I can't watch them
> due to the following error message:
>
> We're sorry, but only the following operating systems are supported at this
> time:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP/Vista
> (i386) Apple Macintosh OS X or later
> (PPC) Apple Macintosh OS X or later
>
> Please check back soon for support for other operating systems.
>
> Is there a way to get around this? Thanks.

Have you checked to see if any of the shows are on Hulu.com? They use
a pretty friendly player. There is a user-agent switcher add-on for
Firefox that might get you past some of those errors - BUT if they are
using some proprietary player, it still may not work.... If not, send
them an email and complain

User-agent switcher:

Chris

Old 11-03-2008, 01:59 AM
steve

Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Mark

HI Steve:

Where do I get the software that you are referring to to make things work? I'm a newbie here and am still trying to find my way around. Repositories? Where do I find this and what do I need to do to get what I need to get this to work? Thank you.

Mark

Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Nils Kassube

Mark wrote:
> Where do I get the software that you are referring to to make things
> work? I'm a newbie here and am still trying to find my way around.
> Repositories? Where do I find this and what do I need to do to get what
> I need to get this to work? Thank you.

You can add the medibuntu repository. It is explained here:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu>

Nils

Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 23:21 -0500, Mark wrote:
> Repositories?

Nils referred you to Medibuntu once more. But since you don't know what
repositories are, let be point you to this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

Also:
https://help.ubuntu.com/ (not up to date yet for Ubuntu 8.10, but good
enough)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/3 Mark <markfpyles@gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 and when I go to
> websites such as tnt.tv or to twtv.com to watch tv shows I can't watch them
> due to the following error message:
>
> We're sorry, but only the following operating systems are supported at this
> time:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP/Vista
> (i386) Apple Macintosh OS X or later
> (PPC) Apple Macintosh OS X or later
>
> Please check back soon for support for other operating systems.
>
> Is there a way to get around this? Thanks.

While there are workarounds, the best course of action is to write to
the companies and let them know that you use Ubuntu and want to view
their content. For them the change to support Ubuntu may be trivial,
but they will not not do that if they do not know that people use
Ubuntu because Linux in general is still perceived as a niche OS. Here
are their addresses, please let them know that you are interested in
viewing their content on Ubuntu:

http://www.twtv.com/help.cfm
http://support.tnt.tv/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5477

--