Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 AM
David Christensen

Default how do I search the mailing list archive?

ubuntu-users:

How do I search the archive for this mailing list?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/

TIA,

David

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 AM
steve

Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 AM
David Christensen

steve wrote:
> from google type this in the search bar
> site:lists.ubuntu.com
> followed by your query on the same line

Thanks for the reply. :-)

Yes, I'm aware of Google's "site:" syntax, but it's not as useful as a
good built-in search engine:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/How+do+I+make+the+archives+searchable

For example, I'm trying to figure out how to change the terminal server
network address. I've yet to construct a Google query that doesn't give
me too many or too few hits:

site:lists.ubuntu.com "terminal server" change address

site:ubuntu.com allintitle: "terminal server"

Also, I'd like to be able to sort the hits in reverse chronological
order (perhaps there's a Google syntax for that?).

http://www.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=searchguides.html&ctx=advanced&hl=e n

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

I guess I'm making a feature request...

David

Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 AM
"Chris Mohler"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:04 PM, David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> from google type this in the search bar
>> site:lists.ubuntu.com
>> followed by your query on the same line
>
> Thanks for the reply. :-)
>

> Yes, I'm aware of Google's "site:" syntax, but it's not as useful as a
> good built-in search engine:
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/How+do+I+make+the+archives+searchable
>

> For example, I'm trying to figure out how to change the terminal server
> network address. I've yet to construct a Google query that doesn't give
> me too many or too few hits:
>
> site:lists.ubuntu.com "terminal server" change address
>
> site:ubuntu.com allintitle: "terminal server"
>

> Also, I'd like to be able to sort the hits in reverse chronological
> order (perhaps there's a Google syntax for that?).
>

> http://www.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=searchguides.html&ctx=advanced&hl=e n
>
> http://www.google.com/advanced_search
>

> I guess I'm making a feature request...

Have you tried searching via gmane's web site:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user

Chris

Old 11-03-2008, 03:17 AM
David Christensen

Chris Mohler wrote:
> Have you tried searching via gmane's web site:
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user

Nice. Thanks. :-)

David