Old 11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Default Global ”auto correction”?

No matter what application I am running, I'd like to be able to use abbreviations when typing. There is an application for this for Windows (AllChars), but so far I couldn't find one for Linux.

It should work something like this:

Create a list of abbreviations (aliases, kind of), for example: JR = "Johnny Rosenberg
MyAddress
MyPhone

Etc".When typing in another application, let's say an email client, every time I enter "JR" followed by Enter or a space, JR should be replaced with the following (in this example):

Johnny Rosenberg
MyAddress
MyPhone

Etc

and should work (Enter and Tab respectively)UTF-8 should be supported.
It should be possible to stop it temporarily by using a keyboard shortcut and then restart it again with the same keyboard shortcut.It should be written in C or C++. If the source code is available, it's a bonus… (because I'd really like to learn how to do stuff like that…)

I know this feature exists in a lot of applications, such as OpenOffice.org (auto correction) and Emacs, but it would be nice to have it as a global application, working with everything. The applications should be running in the background all the time, reading the keyboard and replacing things when something in the abbreviation list is found.

Thanks

J.R.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 PM
"Chris Mohler"

This looks promising (though written in python), but I could not get
it working in Intrepid...

http://autokey.sourceforge.net/

Chris

Old 11-02-2008, 10:24 PM