Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Joris Dobbelsteen

Default Could someone help with an Ubuntu install on a laptop?

i686 is the same as i386.

Basically 686 is the Pentium and later series, while 386 points to the
80386, the successor of the 686. In general all 386 and 686 code runs on
all of today's Intel Pentium/Celeron/Core/Core2 & AMD Athlon/Phenom/...
processors. So for practical purposes: they are actually the same.

If you got installation issues with i386, please describe what you did
and what the result is:
* any (error) messages
* Which steps you have taken.
* Describe what you expected and what you actually got.

Describe the hardware you have.

Also the following questions:
* Did you double-click on the install icon on your desktop?

There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge and experience, but
they need much more detailed information to start with.

- Joris

Old 11-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Samuel Rohde

The problems I had was when I went to install 8.10, it would not go past step 3 (choosing your keyboard setup). I click forward after choosing the setup and it just won't go. It didn't freeze because I can still move the mouse around. I gave it plenty of time and it just won't go to the next step ( step 4).

Old 11-02-2008, 03:48 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/2 Samuel Rohde <samuelrohde@yahoo.com>:
> The problems I had was when I went to install 8.10, it would not go past
> step 3 (choosing your keyboard setup). I click forward after choosing the
> setup and it just won't go. It didn't freeze because I can still move the
> mouse around. I gave it plenty of time and it just won't go to the next step
> ( step 4).

1) Please stop posting in HTML.

2) Did you check the install media?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Samuel Rohde

I'm not posting in HTML. Or I'm not meaning to, how can I not post in HTML?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/2 Samuel Rohde <samuelrohde@yahoo.com>:
> I'm not posting in HTML. Or I'm not meaning to, how can I not post in HTML?

From the headers of your email message:

The mail message is also in a very large font. I do not use Yahoo, but
look under Settings, Options, Preferences, or another synonym.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Karl Larsen

Samuel Rohde wrote:
> I have Linux Mint 5 on my laptop right now, but I want Ubuntu 8.10 on
> it. My laptop's CPU is a 686, but I can't find where to download an
> Ubuntu i686 iso. Does anyone know where to download? I tryed i386, and
> it ran smoothly from the live CD but it wouldn't install. So does
> anyone know where to download an Ubuntu i686 iso? Any help would be great, thanks.

I have a so-called I-386 version of Ubuntu on a 686 CPU and it runs
fine. I think you might have some other problem(s). Check it out.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-02-2008, 04:36 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Here, wrote this for you just now:
http://dotancohen.com/howto/email-html.html

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Samuel Rohde

Well I looked and my font is set to 10. I don't know why it is so big, it is not big on my screen. Is this message in HTML? I set it as plain text.

________________________________
> I'm not posting in HTML. Or I'm not meaning to, how can I not post in HTML?

From the headers of your email message:

Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/2 Samuel Rohde <samuelrohde@yahoo.com>:
> Well I looked and my font is set to 10. I don't know why it is so big, it is not big on my screen. Is this message in HTML? I set it as plain text.

Much better, thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Samuel Rohde

Your welcome. Well, I'm still having Ubuntu problems. I'm still stuck at step 3. What should I do? I'm downloading the alternative iso right now.