Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM
stan

Default 8.10 upgrade and KDE

I have a machine that I ultimately intend to become my primary workstation
at hoe, but that ay present amounts to a test machine. I use KDE sessions
on most of my machines.

Yesterday, I upgraded this machine from 8.04 to 8.10. I had a minor problem
with tsdoc (which, since I don't know what it is) I just deleted. The
upgrade seemed to go fairly well, but plasma seems to die on a regular
basis. More importantly I had spent a good bit of time configuring the
panel on the bottom of the sessions to have quite a number of useful applets.

These did not survive the upgrade. When I try adding in applets now, I get
_very_ large icons at the top of my desktop, instead of on the panel
itself. Also, there does not seem to be as wide a selection of applets. Can
I change this behavior to be more like this older version of KDE? How can I
add an application launcher for things like xterm?

programs.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 09:36 -0500, stan wrote:
> Yesterday, I upgraded this machine from 8.04 to 8.10.

I don't use KDE, but it is my understanding that Kubuntu 8.10 uses KDE4
by default:
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.10-release

This is probably the reason why your desktop/panel is different.

There seem to be ways to install KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 8.10, I found this:

> I had a minor problem
> with tsdoc (which, since I don't know what it is) I just deleted.

I can't find a package or file "tsdoc" in the package database, and
nothing at all on google that has anything to do with software. Are you
sure you got the name right?

Also, deleting stuff just because you "don't know what it is" might be
not such a great idea. I am sure the system depends on lot of stuff that
you (or I) are not all that knowledgeable about ...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 09:36 -0500, stan wrote:
> I had a minor problem
> with tsdoc (which, since I don't know what it is) I just deleted.

Also, you need to be more specific about the "minor problem" that you
had. How did it manifest itself?

Old 11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
stan

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 03:54:32PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 09:36 -0500, stan wrote:
> > I had a minor problem
> > with tsdoc (which, since I don't know what it is) I just deleted.
>
> Also, you need to be more specific about the "minor problem" that you
> had. How did it manifest itself?

Actually the package was tdsodbc.

The problem was that a popup came up saying thta this package could not be
sucesully upgraded. Adter the upgrade finished it was left in an
"unconfigured" state, so I did an ap-get remove tdsodbc
programs.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM
stan

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 03:52:29PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 09:36 -0500, stan wrote:
> > Yesterday, I upgraded this machine from 8.04 to 8.10.
>
> I don't use KDE, but it is my understanding that Kubuntu 8.10 uses KDE4
> by default:
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.10-release
>
> This is probably the reason why your desktop/panel is different.
>
> There seem to be ways to install KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 8.10, I found this:

Hmm, I am not certain I want to go back to the older version of KDE, I am
suspect that I will grow accustomed to the "new way" at some point in time, I
can see that it might have advantages. What I am trying to accomplish is
retain the same functionality that I had, and maybe minimize the "future
shock" for a while.
programs.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 10:59 -0500, stan wrote:
> Actually the package was tdsodbc.

Well, losing that shouldn't hurt if you don't connect to MSSQL and
Sybase SQL servers for a living

Old 11-02-2008, 03:50 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/2 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org>:
> I don't use KDE, but it is my understanding that Kubuntu 8.10 uses KDE4
> by default:
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.10-release
>
> This is probably the reason why your desktop/panel is different.
>
> There seem to be ways to install KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 8.10, I found this:
>
>> I had a minor problem
>> with tsdoc (which, since I don't know what it is) I just deleted.
>
> I can't find a package or file "tsdoc" in the package database, and
> nothing at all on google that has anything to do with software. Are you
> sure you got the name right?
>
> Also, deleting stuff just because you "don't know what it is" might be
> not such a great idea. I am sure the system depends on lot of stuff that
> you (or I) are not all that knowledgeable about ...

Don't doctors do this with appendices?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 18:50 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Don't doctors do this with appendices?

Yeah, and it's not such a great idea (unless as a last resort)

Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
stan

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 05:46:08PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 10:59 -0500, stan wrote:
> > Actually the package was tdsodbc.
>
> Well, losing that shouldn't hurt if you don't connect to MSSQL and
> Sybase SQL servers for a living

Ah, well, since this ia a home machine, I can't see it eer needing to do
thta.

Thanks.

programs.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 10:59 -0500, stan wrote:
>> Actually the package was tdsodbc.
>
> Well, losing that shouldn't hurt if you don't connect to MSSQL and
> Sybase SQL servers for a living

and if it _was_ going to hurt, you'd have been warned about the other
packages it was going to remove...
--
derek