Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 AM
"Michael Haney"

Default Resolution Problems Still

Ok, this is REALLY getting old. I need help, real help, please
someone! I'm trying out Ubuntu 8.10, I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX
AGP 8x card and a Sun Microsystems 21-inch VGA monitor. After
installing Intrepid my display resolution is limited to 800x600.
After installing the Nvidia drivers my display resolution is locked at
640x480 which makes Ubuntu unusable. I want to change that so I can
goto 1024x768. I need real help that works.

This is my xorg.conf file as it is now ...

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I've tried the suggestions which appear on this webpage ...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions

Nothing I do seems to make any different, I've changed the xorg.conf
file but my settings are just ignored. I'm at my wits end, this is
really making me very mad ... again. Why, oh why did they take out
the ability to manually change your monitor settings in the display
resolution window. They even removed displayconfig-gtk and you can't
install it from the repos either. This is a problem that's been going
unresolved for way too long and it need a fix that works now.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 AM
steve

Michael Haney wrote:
> Ok, this is REALLY getting old. I need help, real help, please
> someone! I'm trying out Ubuntu 8.10, I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX
> AGP 8x card and a Sun Microsystems 21-inch VGA monitor. After
> installing Intrepid my display resolution is limited to 800x600.
> After installing the Nvidia drivers my display resolution is locked at
> 640x480 which makes Ubuntu unusable. I want to change that so I can
> goto 1024x768. I need real help that works.
>
> This is my xorg.conf file as it is now ...
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I've tried the suggestions which appear on this webpage ...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions
>
> Nothing I do seems to make any different, I've changed the xorg.conf
> file but my settings are just ignored. I'm at my wits end, this is
> really making me very mad ... again. Why, oh why did they take out
> the ability to manually change your monitor settings in the display
> resolution window. They even removed displayconfig-gtk and you can't
> install it from the repos either. This is a problem that's been going
> unresolved for way too long and it need a fix that works now.

fx5500 here. I struggled with 640x480 after upgrading it a couple weeks
ago during beta, and all I can get out of it is 800x600 now. not bad
because its running myth on a 42" lcd and I hardly ever use the desktop.
what driver are you using, and what shows up in system>admin>hardware
drivers?

this is my xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better." Abraham Lincoln 1848

Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Karl Larsen

Michael Haney wrote:
> Ok, this is REALLY getting old. I need help, real help, please
> someone! I'm trying out Ubuntu 8.10, I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX
> AGP 8x card and a Sun Microsystems 21-inch VGA monitor. After
> installing Intrepid my display resolution is limited to 800x600.
> After installing the Nvidia drivers my display resolution is locked at
> 640x480 which makes Ubuntu unusable. I want to change that so I can
> goto 1024x768. I need real help that works.
>
> This is my xorg.conf file as it is now ...
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I've tried the suggestions which appear on this webpage ...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions
>
> Nothing I do seems to make any different, I've changed the xorg.conf
> file but my settings are just ignored. I'm at my wits end, this is
> really making me very mad ... again. Why, oh why did they take out
> the ability to manually change your monitor settings in the display
> resolution window. They even removed displayconfig-gtk and you can't
> install it from the repos either. This is a problem that's been going
> unresolved for way too long and it need a fix that works now.

You can get as mad as you care to. I am disappointed that 8.10 does
not support many of the NVIDIA versions. But I have done all that you
can do and it will not work. So stay with Hardy and this list and some
day the guys who fix things will figure out how to fix this .

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
blue

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6085570&postcount=5

Michael

Perhaps the above linke will be of interest - it is one that I put on
the ubuntuforums.org pages earlier today. I have the same monitor and
have suffered from similar problems.

Blue

Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Christoph Bier

Michael Haney schrieb am 02.11.2008 04:35:

> Ok, this is REALLY getting old. I need help, real help, please
> someone! I'm trying out Ubuntu 8.10, I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX
> AGP 8x card and a Sun Microsystems 21-inch VGA monitor. After
> installing Intrepid my display resolution is limited to 800x600.
> After installing the Nvidia drivers my display resolution is locked at
> 640x480 which makes Ubuntu unusable. I want to change that so I can
> goto 1024x768. I need real help that works.
>
> This is my xorg.conf file as it is now ...
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I've tried the suggestions which appear on this webpage ...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions
>
> Nothing I do seems to make any different, I've changed the xorg.conf
> file but my settings are just ignored. I'm at my wits end, this is
> really making me very mad ... again. Why, oh why did they take out
> the ability to manually change your monitor settings in the display
> resolution window. They even removed displayconfig-gtk and you can't
> install it from the repos either. This is a problem that's been going
> unresolved for way too long and it need a fix that works now.

Have you tried »Option: "NoDDC"« in your xorg.conf?

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)

Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando"

Olá Michael e a todos.

On Sunday 02 November 2008 03:35:55 Michael Haney wrote:
> Ok, this is REALLY getting old. I need help, real help, please
> someone! I'm trying out Ubuntu 8.10, I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX
> AGP 8x card and a Sun Microsystems 21-inch VGA monitor. After
> installing Intrepid my display resolution is limited to 800x600.
> After installing the Nvidia drivers my display resolution is locked at
> 640x480 which makes Ubuntu unusable. I want to change that so I can
> goto 1024x768. I need real help that works.
>
> This is my xorg.conf file as it is now ...
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I've tried the suggestions which appear on this webpage ...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions
>
> Nothing I do seems to make any different, I've changed the xorg.conf
> file but my settings are just ignored. I'm at my wits end, this is
> really making me very mad ... again. Why, oh why did they take out
> the ability to manually change your monitor settings in the display
> resolution window. They even removed displayconfig-gtk and you can't
> install it from the repos either. This is a problem that's been going
> unresolved for way too long and it need a fix that works now.

Acording to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810 there are several older Nvidia cards that cant use teh 3D driver.
Open Source driver should work

--
BUGabundo )
(``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net

Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM
"Chris Rees"

2008/11/2 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
> You can get as mad as you care to. I am disappointed that 8.10 does
> not support many of the NVIDIA versions. But I have done all that you
> can do and it will not work. So stay with Hardy and this list and some
> day the guys who fix things will figure out how to fix this .

Give it a rest will you Karl? This is not helpful. You did this with Hardy too.

Nvidia says your graphics card should be supported, so that shouldn't
be a problem

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x768"

You've definately put this line in here?

Chris
--
R< $&h ! > $- ! $+ $@ $2 < @ $1 .UUCP. > (sendmail.cf)

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Karl Larsen

Chris Rees wrote:
> 2008/11/2 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>
>> You can get as mad as you care to. I am disappointed that 8.10 does
>> not support many of the NVIDIA versions. But I have done all that you
>> can do and it will not work. So stay with Hardy and this list and some
>> day the guys who fix things will figure out how to fix this .
>>

> Give it a rest will you Karl? This is not helpful. You did this with Hardy too.
>
> Nvidia says your graphics card should be supported, so that shouldn't
> be a problem
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Modes "1024x768"
>
> You've definately put this line in here?
>
> Chris

Chris you have not Googled Ubuntu 8.10 and NVIDIA GeForce 6100 but I
have. And I have a partition with 8.10 set up in it and it does not
work. There appear to be many other people with GeForce 6100 that can
not get it to work.

Also on the Ubuntu bug list there is a growing number of problems
with NVIDIA. So that is the way it is.

Hardy works fine with GeForce 6100 NVIDIA and so does Gutsy, But not
Intrepid.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
"Michael Haney"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Chris Rees wrote:
>> 2008/11/2 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>>
>>> You can get as mad as you care to. I am disappointed that 8.10 does
>>> not support many of the NVIDIA versions. But I have done all that you
>>> can do and it will not work. So stay with Hardy and this list and some
>>> day the guys who fix things will figure out how to fix this .
>>>

>> Give it a rest will you Karl? This is not helpful. You did this with Hardy too.
>>
>> Nvidia says your graphics card should be supported, so that shouldn't
>> be a problem
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
>>
>> SubSection "Display"
>> Modes "1024x768"
>>
>> You've definately put this line in here?
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Chris you have not Googled Ubuntu 8.10 and NVIDIA GeForce 6100 but I
> have. And I have a partition with 8.10 set up in it and it does not
> work. There appear to be many other people with GeForce 6100 that can
> not get it to work.
>
> Also on the Ubuntu bug list there is a growing number of problems
> with NVIDIA. So that is the way it is.
>
> Hardy works fine with GeForce 6100 NVIDIA and so does Gutsy, But not
> Intrepid.
>

> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

The issue is X.org isn't properly detecting my monitor which is then
limiting what resolution I can set. I've gone back to Kubuntu 8.04
since its the only distro right now that actually lets you manually
change your monitor settings within X. There's no way within X to
change your monitor settings in Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu
8.10 as well as Xubuntu 8.04 and 8.10. Xubuntu shocked the hell out
of me since its designed for low-end machines and you can't manually
adjust your monitor settings, at least not easily from within X like
you used to be able to with Gutsy.

Linux zealots may not see this as a problem, but Mark Shuttleworth is
targeting Ubuntu at average home users ... ordinary people ... not
Linux Gurus like most of you here. These are people who know how to
turn the computer on and click on icons and that's about it. Its
problems like this, which I've tried to explain before, that will
"prevent" Ubuntu from being adopted by more people than it should.
Eventually the situation is going to piss Mr. Shuttleworth off because
a simple to fix limitation of the software is keeping people from
adopting ubuntu and increasing the market share of Linux. Reading
about his views and listening to him in Podcasts and interviews I'm
fairly certain he'd want this problem fixed quickly. In many ways
this worse than the problem of Ubuntu not supporting a lot of WiFi
adapters.

I'm going to stick with Kubuntu 8.04 until I "know" this problem is fixed.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com