Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Printer - caveats, opinions, experiences?

I managed to get an HP 3505n on sale for $450 and am looking to
configure it on the network soon. It was a display model, and I was told
I can return it within 14 days if it doesn't work properly...must be
they were trying to get rid of it because it was discontinued or
something. After telling me the distributor warehouse probably didn't
have anymore and I would only be able to get the floor model if I wanted
the sale price they tried to sell me a hundred dollar support contract
(if you can't get anymore of them, how are you going to keep getting
parts for it down the road?)

Anyone have experience with these printers on the network working with
Ubuntu? I had a similar printer once that kept having paper feed
problems, but it was a different model, and where I work we normally
have had good luck with HP printers so I wrote the problematic system
off as a fluke.

Experiences to share would be appreciated, especially if it helps with
setup or things to look out for before the "return" period expires...

-Bart

Old 11-02-2008, 02:26 AM
steve

Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Bart Silverstrim

steve wrote:

> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Color_LaserJet_CP3505
>

> is this is it? looks like a nice color laserjet for 450 but only thing
> id be worried about is the $ of cartriges, a quick google showed about
> 150 a piece. ouch. maybe theres refill ones to look into...

Looks like that's the one. On pricing, yes, the price is steep, but
that's for any color laser nowadays. They're like razors. Razor's cheap,
new blades aren't.

On the other hand it's for home use and the toners are rated at ~6000
sheets, so they last quite awhile for home. What I end up doing is once
the toner or fuser acts up I evaluate whether the laser has been a PITA
or not since it's usually almost a wash to get a new laser (and headache
is in setting it and my systems up for it) or getting new parts/toner.

The main worry I have with it is paper feeding. Like I said, I had a
model that was similar in build but had *constant* paper feed problems.
This is a different model so I was hoping it was a fluke. Plus the
business I'm in has had dozens of HP printers with very little
problem...some have been going seemingly forever without problems (the
particular office I'm in has an HP 5000, and we have scattered HP 4000's
that are starting to have sensors go bad from wear and tear); these
units take a lot more abuse than the home one will.