Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
"Xn Nooby"

Default logitech webcam doesn't work

Hello,

I have a Logitech Orbit AF Sphere webcam, and am trying to access it
using the "stopmotion" app. Apparently the stopmotion program calls
vgrabbj to grab an image from the webcam. I am running Ubuntu Desktop
i386 8.10-RC1.

When I run Ekiga, it is able to grab video from the Quickcam perfectly.

When I run the "stopmotion" program, it only imports a green screen.

When I vgrabbg manually, I get a single green picture.

I've read a lot of messages in various forums, but nobody seemed to
have the green picture problem. Since it works in Ekiga, I assume it
should be able to work with stopmotion/vgrabbj.

Any suggestions?

-----

h@hone:~$ lsusb
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 046d:0994 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Orbit/Sphere AF

-----

h@hone:~$ vgrabbj -s /dev/video0
vgrabbj, Version 0.9.6
Videodevice name: /dev/video0 (UVC Camera (046d:0994))
Capabilities
Type : 1 Values can be looked up at videodev.h
Channels : 1
Audio : 0
MaxWidth : 960
MaxHeight: 720
MinWidth : 48
MinHeigth: 32

Current Settings:
Brightness: 32896
Hue : 0
Color : 8224
Contrast : 8224
Whiteness : 0
Depth : 16
Palette : YUYV (
Width : 800
Height : 600
Chromakey : 0
h@hone:~$

-----

h@hone:~$ vgrabbj -f test.jpg -d /dev/video0 -i svga && eog test.jpg
Reading image from /dev/video0
There was no map allocated to be freed...
h@hone:~$
(results in green image)

Old 11-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Adrian

One suggestion I can make is to look at the video settings under Ekiga
Edit -> Preferences -> Devices -> Video Devices and look at the video
plugin. Then load a terminal window and run

$gstreamer-properties

and select the 'Video' tab. Check that the "Default Input Plugin" is
using the same driver as Ekiga (more than likely v4l2), or just try each
plugin and hit the "Test" button (with the webcam plugged in).

Hope it helps.