Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Rares Vernica

Default USB mouse no longer working under X in 8.10

Hello,

I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and my USB mouse is no longer
working under X. The mouse is working fine in the console, using
gpm. So, I believe my mouse is recognized by the system. The mouse is a
standard Dell optical mouse.

Some pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Rares

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Rares Vernica

Rares Vernica <rares@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and my USB mouse is no longer
> working under X. The mouse is working fine in the console, using
> gpm. So, I believe my mouse is recognized by the system. The mouse is a
> standard Dell optical mouse.
>
> Some pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks.
> Rares

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? Not having X affects my
productivity badly.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Rares Vernica <rares@ics.uci.edu>:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and my USB mouse is no longer
> working under X. The mouse is working fine in the console, using
> gpm. So, I believe my mouse is recognized by the system. The mouse is a
> standard Dell optical mouse.
>
> Some pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks.
> Rares

Try running lsusb and see if if works then. On a Kubuntu 8.04 laptop I
have, I have to run lsusb after returning from suspension to reenable
to mouse.

How are other USB devices functioning when the mouse is not?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Rares Vernica

Rares Vernica <rares@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and my USB mouse is no longer
> working under X. The mouse is working fine in the console, using
> gpm. So, I believe my mouse is recognized by the system. The mouse is a
> standard Dell optical mouse.

And the answer is...

> sudo apt-get install hal

Here is how I found it:

> sudo grep device /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
AllowEmptyInput.
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure hal
Package `hal' is not installed and no info is available.
> sudo apt-get install hal

Everything went back to normal.

The mouse and keyboard device configurations have been moved from
xorg.conf into HAL. I did not realize but the keyboard was not working
either.

--
Rares

Old 11-03-2008, 11:52 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/4 Rares Vernica <rares@ics.uci.edu>:
> And the answer is...
>
>> sudo apt-get install hal

Wow!

> I did not realize but the keyboard was not working
> either.

Er, Rares, how did you type them in, then? SSH? Laptop keyboard? ps/2
or serial device?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Rares Vernica

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/11/4 Rares Vernica <rares@ics.uci.edu>:
>
>> I did not realize but the keyboard was not working
>> either.
>>

> Er, Rares, how did you type them in, then? SSH? Laptop keyboard? ps/2
> or serial device?

Because the mouse was not working I did not use X at all. I was using
the console all the time.

--
Rares